[Faith-talk] Halloween

Amy Ragain belovedconsecrated2god at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 06:54:18 UTC 2011

I would have to do some digging to find the articles I would like to talk bout here!...so I will say this for now...
My dad didnt let us participate in any holloween activities...sometime we felt left out because we didnt get to dress up like our friends did...
I have participated in school dress up/trick or treat activities...I never dressed as anything gory...I have dressed as a star a costume that my mom made for me...and a movie theater floor also made by my Mom...my entire class dressed as pumkpins 1 year...
now our church does what they call trunk or treat. everybody decorates their cars and the kids go from 1 to the other asking for candy...no gory decorations or costumes are allowed...
some of the churches I have worked with have also done fall fest or holloween out reaches...with games, costumes/costume contests, activities, food, mazes, balloon animals, face painting, etc...
1 church took everybody on a trick or treat for canned goods walk...everybody dressed in clean/nongory costumes and picked a neighborhood and walked from house to house asking for canned good for the local food pantry...that was pretty cool!
I dont have kids but if I did I'm not sure I would let them go trick or treating in todays culture! you just never know what some crazy person might put in the candy these days! *frown* but I like the trunk or treat idea...
parties are the same way...I believe as a parent I would have to know who is hosting the party, who is attending it, what kinds of activities will take place, what kinds of foods will be served, etc. before I would attened or let my kids attened...
I also thought the day had christian/catholic roots too. believe it was called something like all hollows eve or something...I wish I could quote some articles here for you but maybe some of our catholic friends on this list can help here... *smiles*
I guess this didnt really answer any of your questions but hopefully maybe it helped even if only a little bit...