[Faith-talk] FW: [thefamilyoffaith] Lorraine Ezell - Jesus Or The Easter Bunny?

Eric Calhoun eric at pmpmail.com
Fri Apr 6 16:16:31 UTC 2012

Original Message:
From: "thefamilyoffaith" <TheFamilyofFaith at tampabay.rr.com>
To: <thefamilyoffaith at yahoogroups.com>,
<INTERCESSORS-ALLNATIONS at yahoogroups.com>,
<dfpprayerwarriors at suddenlink.net>, <unitedprayermail at aol.com>,
<CcHhEeSsTtEeRr at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [thefamilyoffaith] Lorraine Ezell - Jesus Or The Easter Bunny?
Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2012 08:26:56 -0400

                        "Jesus Or The Easter Bunny?"

                        "And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye
seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here:
behold the place where they laid him." Mark 16:6

                        Happy Resurrection weekend to each and everyone.
I choose to call it Resurrection Sunday and not Easter. I choose to
acknowledge the death, burial and resurrection of my beloved Savior Jesus,
and not the things that we typically think of when we think of Easter- such
as the Easter bunny, colored eggs, hiding eggs, baskets of candies.

                        I wonder, (I know the answer, so I am not asking
for one) why we think that these things have anything to do with what Jesus
did for us? What do the things that I have already named have to do with
the cross or the empty tomb or the suffering that Jesus went through? They
have nothing to do with it. These things were part of a pagan celebration
to their goddess of fertility. We have adopted them in Christianity and
made it a part of our celebration of Jesus' resurrection.

                        Some say that they know the difference, yet they
celebrate both at the same time. Why would you want anything to distract
from the true meaning? Why would you make Jesus share the celebration with
a fictitious rabbit? Why would you minimize His suffering on the cross with
anything? Why would we replace the miracle of the resurrection of Christ
for the belief that a giant rabbit goes everywhere during the night leaving
children baskets full of candy and colored eggs? We may say we know the
difference, yet once church service is over in the morning, the rest of the
day will be spent "worshipping" the bunny and eggs. I just don't get it.
After what Jesus went through on the cross for us, why would we allow
anything to overshadow it?

                        At Christmas we have adopted a slogan as a
reminder that the celebration is all about the birth of Jesus and not Santa
Claus-- "Jesus is the reason for the season". I think we need to take it
out of storage during the resurrection season because it appears that we
have forgotten that it is still true for this time as well-- "Jesus is the
reason for the season, not the Easter bunny." After all, who laid down
their life for you so that you could have eternal life and forgiveness of
your sins-- Jesus or the Easter bunny!

                        Have a great day. Who are you "really"
celebrating, Jesus or the Easter bunny? Take a long, hard and searching
look at what you are doing before you answer.

                        For further reading:
                        John 3:16
                        Romans 5:8
                        2 Timothy 4:4
                        Matthew 28:6
                        Luke 24:6

                        <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><
                         Coffee Break is a morning devotional written by
Lorraine Ezell
                        and is sent to you free of charge for the asking
from
                        About the Master's Business Ministry, Inc.
                        Please feel free to
                        call (601) 833-5278 or
                        Email: mastersbusiness at bellsouth.net
                        Visit us on the web: www.mastersbusiness.org

                        You are welcomed to make copies and distribute
them free of charge.
                        You may also forward them via e-mail or post them
to your website - leaving the whole message in tact unless permission is
granted to do otherwise. Please remember to give credit to About the
Master's Business Ministry.

      Forward this email

      About the Masters Business | 0647 Dreamy Tr., NE | Brookhaven | MS