[Faith-talk] Beliefs and Practices of the RCA

Tom Vos vost at iowatelecom.net
Wed Jul 18 18:55:47 UTC 2012

As a pastor in the Christian Reformed Church, the RCA is a sister
denomination with which we have much in common.
Let me tell you what I can, and I invite your questions.
The RCA, as its name suggests is rooted in the Reformed/Presbyterian branch
of the church.
It has been part of the American scene for over 200 years and has
established a track record that is easily verifiable.
The beliefs of the RCA, can be seen in the three major confessions they
subscribe to:
Heidelberg Catechism
Belgic Confession of Faith
Canons of Dort.
If you wish to read any of these I can email them to you
The RCA is not a liberal denomination.
It has a deep concern for being faithful to the Word of God, and proclaiming
the gospel of Christ.
Neither does the RCA fit into the fundamentalist camp.
While being true to the infallibility of God's Word, the RCA confesses the
truths of the Apostles Creed, and speaks the faith with a Reformed accent.
So they will emphasize the sovereignty of God's grace in salvation, and call
its members to see the entire world and life as being under God's control,
and so our lives must be lived for his glory -- not just in prayer and
worship services, but in daily life, at work, in the community and in
Christian response to the poor.
The RCA supports mission work around the world.
Being in the Reformed tradition means that the RCA teaches that children of
believers should be baptized.
As evidence of its concern for a Christian response to all of life, the RCA
has recently adopted the Belhar Confession which speaks to the issues of
racism in our world.
If you have further questions, I will be happy to respond here, or you may
email me directly.
Blessings,
Tom Vos