[Faith-talk] Where Jesus Was Born

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Wed Dec 24 01:45:01 UTC 2014

Hi all,

This is interesting, and I thought you'd enjoy it. Merry Christmas!

Where Jesus Was Born

December 23, 2014

__________

The following is excerpted from "Bethlehem - The Manger and the Inn"
by Leen Ritmeyer, Dec. 14, 2014,
<http://www.ritmeyer.com>http://www.ritmeyer.com. Dr. Ritmeyer
combines the skills of an architect and a keen investigator of
archaeological sites to create beautiful reconstructions of ancient
sites in Israel and elsewhere. His Ph.D. thesis for the University of
Manchester was "The Architectural Development of the Temple Mount in
Jerusalem." We have licensed several of his reconstructions for
PowerPoint presentations. One of his many projects is a fascinating
reconstruction of the Temple Mount in different eras from the time of
Abraham to the time of the Byzantines.

________________

BETHLEHEM - THE MANGER AND THE INN

By Leen Ritmeyer

<http://www.ritmeyer.com>www.ritmeyer.com

People have asked me where I think Jesus was born. I reply that
Scripture and archaeology show that the place was not a randomly
chosen cave in Bethlehem, but a location that was prepared centuries
earlier for this purpose.

The Cave in the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, with the silver
star indicating the place where, according to Byzantine tradition,
Jesus was born.

According to Luke 2.1-5, Mary and Joseph had to travel to their own
city. It must have been an uncomfortable journey when Mary was almost
9 months pregnant and had to travel, probably on the back of a
donkey, from Nazareth to Bethlehem--a 100 mile long journey through
the Jordan Valley! On arriving in Bethlehem, they couldn't find a
place to stay. The only available place for the Son of God to be born
was a dirty stable, which had to be shared with animals. It wasn't a
romantic Christmas postcard stable with smiling camels and donkeys,
probably drawn by artists who don't know how bad camels can smell and
how loud the braying of donkeys can be!

What actually did a stable look like in the time of Christ? From
archaeology we know that stables looked like rooms with a fenestrated
wall, i.e. an interior or exterior wall with several low windows.
Animals were placed behind this wall and fodder was put in wooden
boxes or baskets and placed in the windows. Sacks of provender were
stored in the other half of the room. It was probably in this part of
the stable that Mary and Joseph were allowed to stay and where Jesus
was born. Fenestrated walls that were part of stables have been found
in many places, such as Capernaum and Chorazin that are illustrated
<http://www.ritmeyer.com/2014/12/14/bethlehem-the-inn-and-the-manger/>HERE.

A reconstruction drawing of a typical house in Capernaum from the
time of Christ. The rooms of the house were located round a central
courtyard, which had a water cistern. The main living quarters were
upstairs, while other rooms were used for storage and work. Animals
were kept overnight behind a fenestrated wall (portrayed on the left).

But, what is the importance of Bethlehem and which inn was chosen by
God as the place for His son to be born in?

When Joshua conquered Jericho, he cursed the city, so that it became
a city of death. Rahab was the only person, with her family, that was
saved. She married Salmon and their son was called Boaz, who must
have settled in Bethlehem when Judah captured its inheritance. Boaz
married Ruth in Bethlehem and she became the great-grandmother of
David (Ruth 4.10). Gentile Ruth was, of course, one of these amazing
few women mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus in Matthew Ch. 1. King
David was born in Bethlehem and anointed king there by Samuel the Prophet.

Near the end of his life, David had to flee from his son Absalom,
when he rebelled against him. He stayed with the aged Barzilai the
Gileadite, whose son Chimham returned with David to Jerusalem (2 Sam.
19.37-40). To provide him with a source of income, it appears that
David may have given him part of his own inheritance in Bethlehem to
build an inn (mentioned in the early Jewish source, Targum
Yerushalmi, Jer. 41.17a), and called 'Geruth Chimham' 'Habitation of
Chimham' (Jer. 41.17). As small towns like Bethlehem usually had only
one inn, it is reasonable to suggest that Jesus may have been born in
this inn. Through the generosity of David to Barzilai and his son
Chimham, a birthplace for Jesus was prepared.

The previous is from "Bethlehem - The Manger and the Inn" by Leen
Ritmeyer, Dec. 14, 2014, <http://www.ritmeyer.com>http://www.ritmeyer.com.
___

On Sale

Over 50
eBooks
and
eVideos

20% off

<http://www.wayoflife.org/publications/downloads_listing.php>Information

<http://www.wayoflife.org/publications/otimothy.html>
<http://www.wayoflife.org/publications/otimothy.html>INFORMATION

December online
edition available
now!

O Timothy
Paper and online
digital editions
available.

Independent
Baptist
Music Wars

<http://www.wayoflife.org/free_ebooks/independent_baptist_music_wars.php>FREE
DOWNLOAD

<http://www.wayoflife.org/free_evideo/>Free eVideo

<http://www.wayoflife.org/about/makeanoffering.html>Give an Offering
Way of Life
Problems reading article? See it on our
<http://www.wayoflife.org>website. Please notify us of broken formatting, etc.

Sharing Policy:  You may freely copy and share and/or use excerpts
from this article. You should mention the full name of the article
and credit David Cloud, Way of Life Literature,
<http://www.wayoflife.org>www.wayoflife.org. Please read our full
policy here:  <http://www.wayoflife.org/sharing/>www.wayoflife.org/sharing/

Distributed by Way of Life Literature's Fundamental Baptist
Information Service, a service for Fundamental Baptists and other
fundamentalist, Bible-believing Christians. Established in 1974, Way
of Life Literature is a fundamental Baptist preaching and publishing
ministry based in Bethel Baptist Church, London, Ontario, of which
Wilbert Unger is the founding Pastor. Brother Cloud lives in South
Asia where he has been a church planting missionary since 1979. OUR
GOAL IN THIS PARTICULAR ASPECT OF OUR MINISTRY IS NOT DEVOTIONAL BUT
IS TO PROVIDE INFORMATION TO ASSIST PREACHERS IN THE PROTECTION OF
THE CHURCHES IN THIS APOSTATE HOUR. This material is sent only to
those who opt-in to the list. To un-subscribe use the link at the
very bottom of this email.  To SUBSCRIBE, go to our subscription page
at <http://www.wayoflife.org/fbis/>www.wayoflife.org/fbis/.  TO
UNSUBSCRIBE or change your email address use the links at the very
bottom of this page. If you have any trouble with this, please let us
know. We take up a quarterly offering to fund this ministry and those
who use the materials and are blessed by them are expected to
participate (Galatians 6:6) if they are able. We do not solicit funds
from those who do not agree with our preaching and who are not helped
by these publications.  Credit Card and PayPal OFFERINGS can be made
at <http://www.wayoflife.org/offering/>www.wayoflife.org/offering/.
   Use the links below to manage your account.

Way of Life Literature
P.O. Box 610368
Port Huron, MI 48061
<http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?zAysTBzMHLSsrExMjKycTLRGtExsDAyMTAxM>Unsubscribe