[Faith-talk] developmental delay amung the blind

Maureen Pranghofer maureensmusic at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 00:29:06 UTC 2014

Hi Andrew and All
I used to think that developmental delay meant that someone had a cognative
impairment and I did not want to be associated with people who had an
inability to learn or who were functioning at an age level well below their
chronological age.
However I have come to learn that for some this term can apply to anyone who
is seen as not having had the development as some others.  And if you look
at it that way yes I'd say anyone blind before adulthood probably has it
because we simply haven't experienced things others of our age have
experienced.  For example not ever having seen or felt some things makes me
delayed because I have no concept of what people are speaking about in a
social situation because of not having that particular experience.
And that's my understanding of the term developmental delay.