[Faith-talk] developmental delay amung the blind

Christine Olivares rafael4490 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 01:04:22 UTC 2014

Hello andrew,
I totally agree with you. I was born with glaucoma in both eyes, and it is one of the most severe forms out there in my case. At six days old I had my first surgery, and I had a total of 14 surgeries within the first three years of my life including the very first one. So I was in and out of the hospital during early developmental periods. So I think my attachment bonds were not quite formed, and so I appreciate physical touch more than most would. My mom said I was a late talker, but once I started I never stopped lol. I have noticed myself that I am more child-like if you will,and my social skills are very child-like and can be embarrassing at times just because I never understood what was acceptable or not.

On the other hand, my husband Brandon became blind at the age of four, and there is a total difference in how he acts versus how I act. He has a grasp of social cues better than I do. He is cognitively smarter than I am, and I am not putting myself down but he is nerdy and geeky whereas I am not. Put me in front of a computer and I am slow. Brandon? He’s a programmer! So there you go. I’m sure he will elaborate much more, but yeah I get what you are saying.

I actually appreciate it because I’m not the only one out there, so thanks for the topic thread.