[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 1 19:39:23 UTC 2014

Hello to all my loyal readers on this New Year's Day or the day thereafter, depending on where in this world you happen to reside.  I hope that the celebration of this day is going well or went well.  As for me, it's been a quiet one, taking part in the annual event on the Interactive Christian Community called the Bible Marathon.  This event has taken place every year since this group was formed back in 2010 by Tim Snider of Mt. Olive NC, and it has been a blessing to all who either participated or merely listened.  Those of you reading these lines who are yourselves ICC members know this, but others may not, and hence I mention it.

The Daily Thought message for today is actually an editorial from the Gospel Messenger magazine from some years ago by Pastor Robert Rathbun, its editor, who shephers the flock at the First Baptist Church in Lowell MA.  Taking the license to change the year, here is his editorial, rendered as follows:

Welcome to your January Gospel Messenger.  May I wish each of you a God-directed new year.  God has given us a brand new year, 2014.  Its pages are still blank that He gave to us.  One day at a time we are writing on those pages.  However, most of the year still lies before us with its blank pages.  How will these pages read come the end of this year? We would do well to think carefully about this question.  Will you be a plus or a minus to your family in 2014? Will you be a plus or a minus to your community in 2014? Will you be a plus or a minus to your church in 2014? And the most important question of all:  Will you be a plus or a minus to the cause of Christ in 2014?

"And let us not be weary in well doing:  for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not" (Galatians 6:9).  We should "remember the poor" (Galatians 2:10).  We should live for Christ:  "For to me is Christ, and to die is gain" (Philippians 1:21).

Only one life,
Twill soon be past;
Only what's done
For Christ will last.

"For whosoever will save his life shall lose it:  but whosoever will lose his life for My sake, the same shall save it.  For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away" (Luke 9:24-25).

Well, most of the pages of your life in 2014 are currently blank.  You will be writing them a day at a time.  Perhaps these questions will guide you in filling them in in a manner that will be pleasing to God.  I certainly hope so.

There's a sweet, old story translated by man,
But writ in the long, long ago,
The Gospel according to Mark, Luke and John
Of Christ and His mission below.
Men read and admire the Gospel of Christ
With its love so unfailing and true,
But what do they say and what do they think
Of the Gospel according to you?

You are writing a Gospel, a chapter a day,
By deeds that you do and words that you say.
Men read what you write, whether faithless or true,
Say, what is the Gospel according to you?

You are writing each day a letter to men;
Take care that the writing is true:
'Tis the only Gospel that some men will read:
That Gospel according to you.

And there you have it for today.  Please, anyone who knows Pastor Bob, don't tell him I took slight license with one of his editorials of several years ago.  Thanks for not revealing what I did here.

And now until tomorrow when, Lord willing another Daily Thought message will be sent, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul