[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Friday, May 9, 2014

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Fri May 9 18:46:32 UTC 2014

Hello and good day to you all.  Well, we're on the cusp of what many have termed "the weekend" with all the activities we have individually appertaining thereto.  I hope that you are looking forward to what will transpire.

Here in the U.S. and Canada, this Sunday has been set aside to honor our mothers, living and dead.  On that occasion, George Wendell Knight wrote a poem some years ago on this topic entitled "A Mother's Teachings," rendered as follows:

As Mother's Day is drawing near,
I think of days gone by
And hear the words of singing cheer
That take away my sighs.

For through these eyes I now can see
My dear mother who cares for me.
And though my steps may wander wide
And far away from home,
My thoughts will never leave the side
Of her queenly throne.

For earthly wealth can give no more
Than what she taught me in great store.
She taught me first of God above,
Who cares for struggling man,
And pointed me to His great love
To grasp His mighty hand;
And next she taught me of His Son,
Who is the world's Beloved One.

And then she taught this growing boy
Of kindness, mercy, peace,
And cautioned me to smile with joy
And never let it cease;
But most of all she taught my soul
To pay life's price with honest toll.

So on this day, all Mother's own,
I pledge my life anew
To honor, however far I roam,
Her strong faith and virtue true;
And may my life forever show
The lessons she taught me long ago.

On the occasion of my late mom's last Mother's Day here on earth when she still had her lucid moments and her wits about her in the nursing home, I read this poem to her.  Perhaps some of you can imagine the reaction of a woman in her early 90's hearing these words.  Thanks to Brother George for his insightful poem, and may all of us get a blessing from his God-directed words.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, in tomorrow's daily thought message I'll present a poem written by the undersigned which so happens to fit the tune of a well-known Gospel song.  Some of you have read it before, but some haven't.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul