[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Monday, May 26, 2014

Paul via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Mon May 26 18:24:03 UTC 2014

Hello and good day to you all, and especially a good day to my fellow citizens and residents of the United States.  Today in our country is Memorial Day, a day set aside to honor our fallen men and women who served and are still serving in our country's armed forces.  Today's poem by an unknown author beautifully and succinctly expresses this sentiment.  His/her poem is simply entitled "Memorial Day" and is rendered as follows:

These did not pass in selfishness; they died for all mankind:
They died to build a better world for all who stay behind:
And we who hold their memory dear, and bring them flowers today,
Should consecrate ourselves once more to live and die as they.

These were defenders of the faith and guardians of the truth:
That you and I might live and love, they gladly gave their youth,
And we who set this day apart to honor them who sleep
Should pledge ourselves to hold the faith they gave their lives to keep.

And there you have it.  Short, I know, but what a message this simple poem conveyed and still conveys, in my opinion! I don't know if you in other nations have a similar day to honor your country's fallen military men and women, but if you do you might just wish to save this post and recite it on that special day.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow there will be another Daily Thought message for you.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul