[Faith-talk] some updates on Nick, and my day summarized

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 17 17:06:49 UTC 2015

Debbie,
I have some of the same questions. The emails were not clear; Beth did not
even explain his disabilities originally.
Some of the issues she brought up do not seem like abuse, IMO.

Not having an iphone is not abuse. Separation from girlfriends in the home
is not abuse either.
The only thing smelling of abuse is the group home's failure to respect his
privacy while Beth and he talk.

There are bad and good group homes. And I'd say that some people belong
there, while others do not. It depends on the disability too; some autistic
people can live independently and others cannot.

As you proceed Beth, I'd suggest you have a plan in mind what you want to
have done with him. You do not want  him in a worse situation whether its in
a group home or someplace else.
Its fine to expose places if they are really doing wrong, if they are really
abusive, but you then should have a plan to deal with the people in the
group home. Where should they go and who will care for them? Not everyone
has family to care  for them, and not everyone can get a competetive job who
has severe multiple disabilities and even if they have the capacity to live
on their own, some cannot afford to. Heck, I know many young sighted
nondisabled people who live with family or friends because they cannot
afford to live on their own.

So do proceed, but also decide what you want to happen. Do you want to
expose the group home for what it is? Do you want a call for it to be
reformed  or closed? Generally when you go to the media about something, you
want a plan of action and points to discuss with them called talking points.
So figure out what that is and go ahead.

I suspect he is in the group home for other disabilities, not his blindness.

Good luck.

Ashley