[Faith-talk] update on my friend in Iowa

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 04:05:43 UTC 2015

Brandon, were you asking this of RJ or or everyone? I will tell
you this.  I do, as a Christian believe in advocacy, but the
person who needs the advocacy needs to be part of the process,
ask me, or accept my invitation to help, but they must also be
involved in the process.  Often when Jesus healed people he told
them to pick up their mat and go home, or similar things.  Jesus
once asked the man laying beside the pool at Bethesda, "Do you
want to be healed?" That struck me as very interesting.  Because
I think if that guy had said, no, I don't want to be healed,
Jesus would have left him right where he was.  As it is, the guy
said, "When the angels come to trouble the water I don't have
anybody to help me into the pool." I believe in advocacy, but I
do not believe that we should just walk roughshod over people's
feelings and desires.  Now, when people have no voice, because
they cannot even speak for themselves enough to say they want
help, that's a little different.  I will tell you, without going
into all the nasty details, that my husband's family is in the
midst of just such a thing, and I'm involved in it as much as I
can.  If I had my way, I'd be doing some face to face
confrontation, and I'd probably mess everything up.  Sometimes
you have to be careful about how you do things.  I can't just go
in with guns blazing (not literally).  But you know what I mean.
And I might make things worse by doing so.  So I'll do what I can
in the background, and if I feel that the time has come to
confront, I will.  But for now, I'm letting the process go
forward in a legal manner.    Peace,    Debby and Neena