[Faith-talk] 8/2/16 Quotes and an Appeal for Money

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Tue Aug 2 11:07:02 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings to you all on this second day of August.  Hope that
your day is going well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

Before I begin with today's two quotes, let me assure you that the
money is not for me, so you can rest assured of that fact.  Please see
what I'm talking about following today's two quotes for your
consideration, pondering and reflection.

Better to be strong than pretty and useless.  Lilith Saintcrow (quote
compiler's comment:  Has anyone reading these lines ever heard of her?
Judging by her last name, it would appear that she is a Native
American, American Indian or a member of one of Canada's First Nations).

Anyone can hide.  Facing up to things, working through them, that's
what makes you strong.  Sarah Dessen

And there you all have today's quotes, but stay tuned to the financial appeal.

On Saturday evening, July 30 between 7 and 9 PM eastern time, an
unprecedented rainstorm and thunderstorm came to the Baltimore area and
included the small Howard County seat of Ellicott City MD some 10 miles
southwest of Baltimore.  The amount of rain was amazingly much:  Six
inches in two hours.  This community is built on hills above the
Patapsco River and thus poses some difficulties for fire fighters and
other emergency personnel.  As you might expect, a goodly number of
businesses in the downtown core were total losses, not to mention some
200 cars that were either flooded or literally swept into the river
itself.  In short it's a total mess down there.

Now you might wonder why I'm mentioning all this.  Well, perhaps your
sighted friends can go to the website set up specifically for
donations.  I realize that the purchasing power of us blind people,
even collectively, would not be enough to perhaps even make a dent in
the cleanup and recovery efforts, but perhaps your sighted friends,
acquaintances and colleagues might find it in their hearts to do
something.  However there is one thing that we blind people can do, and
that is to pray to God or whomever you consider to be your higher power
that He will do what He can to further the efforts to bring this
community to its feet once again.

If you know of any sighted friends of yours, have them go to the following URL:
http://www.helpellicottcity.com.

I know that the vast majority of you probably can't relate to those
affected, but perhaps some of you live in flood-prone communities and
maybe, at one time or another, lost everything yourselves.  If so you
have some idea of what the folks in Ellicott City are going through.
And don't forget that, in the Judeo-Christian religion, it is well
known that as you bless others, God will bless you, no matter how small
that blessing is.  And in case you're wondering, I contributed a small
amount from my meager finances.

Thanking you for what you or your sighted friends can do, no matter how
small your contribution(s) may be, I am your obedient servant of One
who lived an earthly existence, died to pay for your sins and mine, and
now lives forever to bring us His salvation and peace, Oil of Gladness.

P.S.  It goes without saying that there will be more quotes tomorrow,
and hopefully a more pleasant post.