[Faith-talk] Baffling Bible Questions Answered for Monday, August 8, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Mon Aug 8 18:15:37 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings to my astute Bible students out in cyberspace.  I
hope that you are all doing well, by God's matchless grace and His
providential care.

This week we only have one book to deal with, namely the prophecy of
Habakkuk, so let's see what our unknown named author has to tell us
about him and his book.

Question:  Who wrote this book, and what themes and issues does it deal with?

Answer:  Habakkuk, like Jeremiah, prophesied during the last decades of
Judah's existence as a nation.  His was a unique concern:  How could a
holy God permit the sin the prophet observed in Judah to go unpunished?
When God showed Habakkuk the punishment He was preparing, Habakkuk
wondered how a holy God could use an evil people as His agent.  The
Book of Habakkuk warns Judah that judgment is sure coming and
demonstrates the need for the believer to rest on her faith in God when
devastating judgments fall.

HABAKKUK 2

Question:  How can God as a judge justify giving success to a cruel
people bent on conquest?

Answer:  We human beings consistently assume that success is good and
that conquering nations or wealthy individuals is in some sense
blessed.  When Habakkuk raised the question of how God could permit a
wicked nation sinful though the people of Judah were, God pointed out
that He was, in fact, punishing the Babylonians even as they achieved
their greatest military successes.  The principles of present judgment
of the successful wicked that are spelled out in Habakkuk 2 are that:
(1) however great successes of the wicked, they remain dissatisfied
(2:4, 5); (2) the actions of the wicked arouse hostility and enmity
(2:6-8); (3) the wealth and power they gain, rather than providing them
security, makes them vulnerable to others who want their place
(2:9-11); (4) the material things they gain are even now in a process
of decay (2:12-14); (5) ultimately they will be repaid in kind by those
whom they have mistreated (2:15-17).

The point here is that God does not let the wicked get away with
anything.  Instead, He has structured a truly moral universe in which
wickedness creates the conditions for its own punishment, a universe in
which the wicked, however well off they may seem, can never experience
satisfaction and peace.

And there, brief as it is, is your look at the short book of Habakkuk.
I hope that today's post along this line was a blessing for you.

Until next Monday when, Lord willing the next chapter of this column
will be posted, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us
safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we
live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul