[Faith-talk] God's Wings

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Tue Jul 26 17:32:23 UTC 2016

The following short article is from a collection entitled "Reflective
Moments." Some of you may have read this previously, but if you have I
hope that you won't mind reading it again.

After a forest fire in Yellowstone National Park, forest rangers began
their trek up a mountain to assess the inferno's damage.

One ranger found a bird literally petrified in ashes, perched
statuesquely on the ground at the base of a tree.  Somewhat sickened by
the erie sight, he knocked over the bird with a stick.

When he gently struck it, three tiny chicks scurried from under their
dead mother's wings.  The loving mother, keenly aware of the impending
disaster, had carried her offspring to the base of the tree and had
gathered them under her wings, instinctively knowing that the toxic
smoke would rise.  She could have flown to safety but had refused to
abandon her babies.

Then the blaze had arrived, and the heat had scorched her tiny body,
the mother had remained steadfast.  Because she had been willing to
die, those under the cover of her wings would live.

"He will cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you will find
refuge." (Psalm 91:4)

Being loved this much should make a difference in your life.

On several fronts this story is apropos for today's reading.  First,
it's summertime here in the U.S., Canada and Europe.  Secondly as this
is being written several wildfires in California are out of control,
one being approximately 51 square miles (80 km) in area, and another
wildfire is out of control some 300 miles north, near Sacramento.  But,
on a deeper level, it's awesome that Christ would die in our place,
putting us under His figurative wings.  Of course we know that humans
don't have wings, but it's nice to think about it, right?

And that will do it for today.  Until tomorrow when, Lord willing
another article of a similar encouraging and uplifting nature will be
posted, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe,
individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.
Your Christian friend and brother, Paul