[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Daily Thought for Saturday, June 18, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Sat Jun 18 16:17:58 UTC 2016

Hello to all out there, and especially a big "hello!" to all dads
reading these lines.  Hope that your day is going well, by God's
matchless grace and His providential care.

Some years ago Kay Arthur, a well-known Christian book author and
broadcaster, wrote something that I've shared with many of you before,
but many haven't read it previously.  So for all, whether the first or
second time, here is Kay Arthur's piece entitled "Running For Daddy,"
rendered as follows:

When I was a little girl--just a skinny little beanpole with
pigtails--I used to run to my daddy for comfort.  I was a tomboy who
consistently fell out of trees, got into fights, and crashed my
bicycle.  It seemed like I was forever bloodying those poor, banged-up
knees of mine.  That's when I would run, with pigtails flying and dirty
tears streaming down my face, to my daddy.  "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!"

And I'm so fortunate, because I had a daddy who held me.  Ever since I
was a little girl until the day he went to be with the Lord, I was
always his little sweetheart.  And I would fly into his open arms, and
he would gather me up on his lap--dirt, blood and all--and hold me
there.  And he would wipe my tears and push back my pigtails and say,
"Now Honey, tell Daddy all about it."

Many years later I was hurting again, so very deeply.  But I couldn't
run to my daddy.  I was a single mom with two little kids, trying to
work and go to school.  And it was one of those days when everything
seemed to catch up with me--all of the hurt and loneliness and regret
and pressure and weariness.  I remember driving into the driveway of
the little brick home where we were living.  I got out of the car and
began walking down the little gravel walkway toward the front door.

For some reason, time seemed to stand still for a moment.  To this day
I can't tell you what triggered the thought, but suddenly--in my mind's
eye--I saw something.  I saw a little girl running.  I saw a little
girl with tears streaming down her face and banged-up, bloody knees on
those skinny legs.  I saw her in need of her daddy.  Running for her daddy.

Then suddenly--strangely--I saw her running down a huge, shiny
corridor.  A vast corridor with gleaming marble walls and beautiful
windows spilling heavenly light.  And at the end of that marble hallway
were massive doors of brilliant gold.  Standing before those doors were
bright, powerful guards with great spears.  And I knew that the little
girl was me, and that I was running toward the very throne room of God,
sovereign ruler of the universe.  Yet I was the daughter of the King of
Kings, so when the guards saw me coming, they swung open those doors
and let me run in.  There I was, weeping and running into the very
presence of God.  I heard the cherubim and the seraphim crying out,
"Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty! Heaven and earth are full of Thy
glory!" Many bowed before the throne, and court was in session, but I
just ran and ran and didn't stop.

I could just see myself running up the wide stairs to that glorious
throne--two steps at a time--crying "Abba, Father! Daddy!" And I could
see Him stopping everything, opening His arms wide and just gathering
me to His chest, saying, "There, there, My precious child.  Let Me wipe
away those tears.  Tell your Father all about it."

It has been years since I encountered the founder of Precept
Ministries, let alone heard her radio broadcast, but what she said in
this relatively short piece spoke volumes to me, and I hope it likewise
did the same for you.

And that will do it for today but, Lord willing tomorrow in this space
will be another weekly Bible trivia game poem for you, then from the
Old Testament.  Until then may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just
keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in
which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul