[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Daily Thought for Friday, May 20 2016 and a Followup Announcement To the Lions Radio Show

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Fri May 20 20:31:05 UTC 2016

Hello my fellow saints of the Most High God, no matter where you live
in the world.  Hope all is going well with you today as you read this
message, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

Before I give you the daily thought article selected for today, I'd
like to mention that if you have the WCBM app on your iPhone device,
that you can use that to listen to the station.  I'd get the app and
see if you can hear it before Sunday at about 7:06 PM eastern time to
ensure that you won't miss a word of what we are going to tell the
radio listening audience, and perhaps you'd even like to call in and
ask questions or make a comment.  It promises to be an interesting hour.

Now to the selected article for today.  Written by Harriet Michael, a
resident of Kentucky when this article was originally written, it is
entitled "Job's Restoration:  A Lesson In Prayer," rendered as follows:

The book of Job is very familiar to most Christians.  However, there is
a special lesson about prayer buried in Job's story that may not be so
familiar.  In fact, this little nugget of wisdom is usually overlooked
by those reading or studying the book of Job.  To find this nugget, it
is helpful to briefly recall Job's story.

Job experienced tremendous adversity.  He lost his children, his
personal wealth, and even his health.  In fact, he lost everything
except his wife and his faith.  During his trials, Job's friends were
anything but helpful.  In fact, they drew God's anger with their
notoriously bad advice and false statements.  Nevertheless, at the end
of the book, God did a work of restoration in Job's life.

Job 42:7-10 says:  "The Lord said to Eliphaz the Temanite:  My wrath is
kindled against you and against your two friends; for you have not
spoken of Me what is right, as my servant Job has ... And my servant
Job shall pray for you, for I will accept his prayer not to deal with
you according to your folly ... So Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the
Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite went and did what the Lord had told
them; and the Lord accepted Job's prayer.  And the Lord restored the
fortunes of Job when he prayed for his friends; and the Lord gave Job
twice as much as he had before."

Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar were three of Job's closest friends; but
unfortunately, they offered him very poor advice throughout his
personal ordeal.  At the end of the book, God held them accountable for
their poor advice while at the same time exonerated Job.  This is how
most people remember the story's end.  The friends face the truth of
their shortcomings, Job is honored, and God restores back to Job twice
as much as he had before.  This understanding of the end of Job's story
is accurate, but there is something more.  I think there is a profound
lesson on prayer hidden away in the story of God's restoration of Job.

Let's reread the last verse of this passage, "And the Lord restored the
fortunes of Job when he prayed for his friends, and the Lord gave Job
twice as much as he had before" (Job 42:10).  Is it more obvious now?
The restoration of Job's fortunes occurred when he prayed for his
friends.  I don't think this was a mere coincidence.  It contains a
lesson about the importance of praying for others.

It is certainly alright to pray for oneself.  This truth is
demonstrated many times in the Bible--Hannah's prayer to conceive is
one such example.  But nonetheless, it is very important to pray for
others even if we ourselves are also in dire need of prayer.  Job did
this.  He was asked to do this by God.

My prayer group jokingly calls this the "Job method" of praying.  We
tease that our prayers for others are selfishly motivated because we
are hoping that like Job, God will restore our fortunes too as we pray
for our friends.

There is no simple formula to prayer.  The study and practice of prayer
is multifaceted--but the importance of praying for others is one facet
we would do well to remember.

Now, those are wise words from a wise lady, in my opinion.  We who are
members of the Interactive Christian Community
http://www.iccsite.com)
have a room over there called the Upper Room, and every day, Monday
through Friday at 8:30 AM eastern time and perhaps at other times of
the day, some of us gather for prayer for others.  Now I can't say how
God has blessed us as we gather to do this, but I can say with absolute
certainty that He has blessed the undersigned in his life pilgrimage.
There are three pastors reading this, and I hope that it has given them
food for thought in the preparation of future sermons before their
respective congregations.

And that will do for today.  Until tomorrow when, Lord willing another
Daily Thought message and article will be posted, may the God of
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and
collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian
friend and brother, Paul