[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Re: Appreciation Please!

Sarah Blake LaRose sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
Mon Sep 5 02:45:38 UTC 2016

This leads to the other things I wanted to say earlier. I think that the
fact that people aren't calling the NFB to advocate with their church
doesn't mean there are not access problems in churches. It often simply
means that people are making the best of a situation and coping with what
is, and taking the good parts because something is better than nothing at
all.

I have struggled throughout all my life with church situations that are less
than what I want and need. When my seminary ordered a braille hymnal, I
cried and didn't believe it would ever come. It took four months to arrive.
On the day that a faculty member handed me a folder with lyrics for the
day's chapel service, I couldn't sing because I kept reading the lyrics to
songs I was supposed to be familiar with and crying. I had never learned
them because we sang them so infrequently. I could sing the melody on "la la
la" all day long, but that isn't worship.

Nursery work is a major barrier that so many people face. I worked in church
nursery for several years. I have an article about it on my web site that I
will dig up and post for those of you who may want to share it with your
churches. It is quite old, but I don't think it will matter. I can't lift
babies for prolonged periods anymore, so I am mostly ok with not working
nursery at this point and do other things I am good at. But I still want my
church to acknowledge this piece of my life as normal because it might make
a difference for someone else who would be their best nursery worker.

I have complicated feelings about specific discussions about biblical text
and religious beliefs if the stated purpose of a group is interfaith. It is
not that I am opposed, but the important thing is that we do it in a way
that respects the interfaith nature. I still don't feel that I have a clear
picture of the communities of faith group, which I assumed the list was an
offshoot of. This makes a difference to me.

Sarah Blake LaRose, M.Div., accessible instruction in biblical languages
Personal mail: sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
http://www.sarahblakelarose.com
Info for seminaries and faith communities: http://www.night-light.org