[Faith-talk] A bit off topic, caution I need to share about technology

Bill Outman woutman at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 11 22:21:30 UTC 2017

Good evening, friends.

I had an experience with technology that hopefully has been resolved, but it
is a cautionary situation we should be aware of.

I had remote service done on my laptop over the weekend, an although the
repair work seems to have technical merit, the business practices of the
company detracted from the value of the work they might have earned payment
for.

The firm was Itech Services, also going by the name Agile.  While they
appear to be a real company, they played fast and loose, claiming by their
on line ad that their phone number was Microsoft Technical Support, only to
find they were an independent company that aggressively sold their service
and technical support plans.

They were also inadequate in documenting their work and contract as well as
not completely disclosing their physical location and were unable to fully
articulate the consumer protection they operate under.

So despite saying they were certified techs by both Microsoft and Apple and
appearing to do good work,  I had to ask for a refund upon cancellation of
my contract, which they agreed to today after I had contacted my bank
yesterday.

My mom had been defrauded by a similar company some time ago, requiring
additional service at extra expense.

To put it in faith terms, casting themselves as MS Tech Support was the
original sin.  I might have been willing to negotiate with them if their
business strategy had been more forthcoming and they hadn't flunked the
business 101, and been more mindful this is a field that requires building
of trust, especially with some of the things we have to worry about today.
It's too bad that a legitimate market slot, remote computer service and
support, has to be so frought.

As I say, I've put this out as a word of caution.

By the way best wishes to all those who were mentioned today on this list in
need of prayer for their situations, too many to remember and many of the
circumstances noted are difficult.  I can be thankful at least my challenge
that began last weekend with the computer situation seems to be resolving
without too much harm.

Bill Outman