[Faith-talk] Diakonia

Ericka dotwriter1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 19:11:24 UTC 2017

Somebody had asked if there was any training for Sunday school teachers and whether it was accessible. Well, that question I still can't answer because I never had any formal training and aside from whatever teaching materials the church purchases, I can't think of any other educational opportunity. Probably for church school teachers like parochial schools that include faith formation somewhere, but I'm not aware.

DIAKONIA, is a lay leadership program for people in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. It's been around for probably 15 years. I don't know if the books they use our universal or each teacher chooses their own. I only know what I went through in 2008-2010. At that time not all of the books were available through either learning Ally or BARD. Nowadays I think most of the books are available through book share. It was very rewarding experience and I came away with a deeper faith and more equipped to both witness and help in my congregation. It allowed me to really integrate into the congregation rather than being seen as the Chattery blind lady. I have added the link here if anyone is interested. I am sure things have changed quite a bit and perhaps there is a online option. I enjoyed being in a class with people that came from all different congregations. It was exciting to see what other churches were doing and how other people were living there a call to faith.

Blessings to all!

http://www.diakoniausa.org/

Ericka Short
 from my iPhone 6+