[Faith-talk] Bible sources

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 5 05:32:31 UTC 2017

David,

Do you use other devices such as audio book players?
How do you read the bible? I do a combo of online and in braille.
I've used the Bible gateway website the most for Bible verses or chapters I
wish to go and jump to; its fast this way since you have  drop down boxes
you can select the chapter and verse you want.

I'm younger than you, but I've used a pc and keyboard ever since middle
school and really was taught jaws well as a senior in high school.
So that's almost 20 years I've
been touching the standard keyboard.

I've also seen that people with later vision loss only use a smart phone, or
worse, no tech at all.
They are not trained to use a pc unless they advocate for such training or
are lucky enough to
live near a place such as the DC library or lighthouse for the blind which
will offer them training to use the pc.

I'll just point out that there are other ways to read your faith based books
or anything text based other than a pc. Now email you need the pc for if you
want to use standard programs and standard keyboard.
But for books, you can use stand alone players that have text to speech
abilities.
The victor reader stream can read books and Word files and even go online to
download NLS and bookshare books.
I have the VR stratus. This device does not connect to the internet. It can
play books in many formats and read text files. You have to download the
content from another device such as a pc.
The stratus has buttons and the buttons are as large as the talking book
player ones.

I've heard that the new Amazon Echo can read your books to you purchased
from Amazon.
Has anyone used that to read a Bible or similar religious text?

Anyway, I'll try to not comment much more on technology since this is faith
chatter.
Feel free to contact me off list if you want more info on the vr stream or
stratus or braille Note. I've used all these products. I do not have the
latest ones though as I cannot afford it. VR bought my braille note.
Email bookwormahb at earthlink.net.

I copied a few things faith related from online and put the text in a Word
file. Then, I put the file on a thumb drive and read the file on my Braille
Note braille display. It was more work, but I was glad to read it in braille
and not be sitting at my pc.
I share Sandra's sentaments about processing human speech better.
That is one reason I used readers over scanning everything for studying.

Ashley