[Faith-Talk] iceolation and serving in churches

Tom Vos tomvos614 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 14 14:57:41 UTC 2019

Andrew,
I can appreciate your struggle, and I am grateful that you have some
counseling resources to deal with your depression.  I am a pastor, now
retired, and I am grateful for a church that walked with me through 28
years of ministry as My eye condition deteriorated.  When I first told
my congregation that my eyesight was declining, one of my elders said
to me, "This is going to be good for us."
I am grateful for those who stepped in to drive me to various visits
and walked with me with encouragement and love.
I say that because I want to say that churches can learn.
And I should also say that I was approached by someone from the
congregation telling me that my ministry there had run its course,
making it clear that my blindness was the factor.
Thankfully my council stood by me and allowed me another five years of
ministry there.
That being said, churches still have things to learn.  My denomination
has an office of disability concerns that seeks to educate and guide
the churches in ministry to and with people with disabilities.  The
motto is: Everybody belongs, everybody Serves.
I offer advice hesitantntly, because you may have done this already.
First, perhaps some treatment for your depression may lower the strain a bit.
But I wonder if you could pick out some particular form of service in
your church that you think you can do and would enjoy being a part of,
and approach the leadership and ask for an opportunity to serve.
Your church should be willing to accommodate you with some assistance,
since their goal should be to provide you with a way of serving the
Lord and his people.
This takes some assertion on your part, and perhaps if you are feeling
down, this is not the best time to try it.  You could, of course, run
into road blocks, or someone who is unwilling to help you.  But
perhaps there is someone you are close to in the church who could
serve as your advocate.
Short of that, you will need to be your own advocate and graciously
ask for the opportunity to serve among  them, and perhaps explain to
the leadership what you can do, and how you can do it, and what
assistance they need to provide so that you can not only belong, but
serve.
I'd be glad to converse with you off list if that would help.
Tom