[Fopbc] Fwd:Largest Newspaper Service for the Blind Now Offers Over 300 N...

FOPBC at aol.com FOPBC at aol.com
Tue Oct 13 00:49:21 UTC 2009

----Original Message-----
From: Freeh,Jessica  <JFreeh at nfb.org>
To: david.andrews at nfbnet.org
Sent: Mon, Oct 12,  2009 7:32 pm
Subject: [blindkid] Largest Newspaper Service for the Blind  Now Offers
Over 300 Newspapers

FOR IMMEDIATE  RELEASE

CONTACT:

Chris  Danielsen

Director of Public  Relations

National Federation of the  Blind

(410) 659-9314, extension 2330
(410)  262-1281 (Cell)

<_mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org_
(mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org>cdanielsen at nfb.org?)

Largest  Newspaper Service for the Blind
Now Offers Over 300  Newspapers

NFB-NEWSLINE® Offers Blind Individuals  More Content Choice

Baltimore, Maryland (October  12, 2009): The National Federation of the
Blind announced today that  NFB-NEWSLINE®, the largest electronic newspaper
service in the world for blind  and print-disabled Americans, now gives
subscribers independent access to over  three hundred newspapers and magazines.
This free service allows those who  cannot read conventional newsprint du e to
a physical disability to listen to  the newspaper over the telephone, on the
web, or by download to a digital  talking-book player. With the addition of
national newsmagazines like Time and  interest-specific magazines like
Science News to its roster of national and  local publications, NFB-NEWSLINE®
continues to cater to the increasingly  divergent interests of its
subscribers.

Dr. Marc  Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
“NFB-NEWSLINE® is truly a testament to our belief in the importance of
offering print-disabled individuals access to the same vital information that
is available to our sighted peers. NFB-NEWSLINE® offers subscribers freedom
of  choice, and now that over three hundred publications are available on
the  service, we have more choice than ever.”

Nijat  Worley, a college student from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Colorado, said: “I can't  tell
you how much I enjoy being able to easily access so many newspapers and
magazines! All I need to do is pick up a phone or open a Web page and I can
choose to read from hundreds of publications including my hometown newspaper
or the New York Times, my favorite national newspaper. As a sophomore with a
 double major in Political Science and International Affairs, the variety
of  news sources offered by NFB-NEWSLINE® really helps me find material for
my  coursework. Since it’s available any time, day or night , I can read the
news  in accordance with my busy  schedule.”

NFB-NEWSLINE®, which began operation  in 1995, offers TV listings in
addition to newspapers and magazines to over  69,000 subscribers through several
delivery methods: a standard touch-tone  telephone, a secure, text-only Web
site, or by download to a digital  talking-book player.

To experience the variety of  choice offered with NFB-NEWSLINE®, please
visit <_http://www.nfbnewslineonline.org/>www.nfbnewslineonline.org_ (http:/
/www.nfbnewslineonline.org/>www.nfbnewslineonline.org) .  For further
information, please e-mail Scott White at <_mailto:swhite at nfb.org>swhite at nfb.org_
(mailto:swhite at nfb.org>swhite at nfb.org?)   or call (866)  504-7300.

###

About  the National Federation of the Blind

With more  than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and  most influential membership organization of blind people in
the United States.  The NFB improves blind people's lives through advocacy,
education, research,  technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence. It is  the leading force in the blindness field today and the
voice of the nation's  blind. In January 2004 the NFB opened the National
Federation of the Blind  Jernigan Institute, the first research and training
center in the United  States for the blind led by the  blind.

blindkid:
_http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/bluegolfshoes%40a
ol.com_
(http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/bluegolfshoes@aol.com)