[Fopbc] Fwd: Blind Child/Young Adolescent Study

FOPBC at aol.com FOPBC at aol.com
Tue Oct 13 00:50:08 UTC 2009

----Original Message-----
From: Sleep and Mood Disorders Lab  <sleeplab at ohsu.edu>
To: BVI-Parents at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, Oct  12, 2009 7:58 pm
Subject: [BVI-Parents] Blind Child/Young Adolescent  Study

Hello,

My name is Amber Laurie, and I am a Research Assistant in  the Sleep and
Mood Disorders Laboratory of Oregon Health and Science  University in
Portland, Oregon. I am writing you to ask for your help in  reaching family members
and educators of blind children and young adults who  may be interested in
participating in a study currently taking place under the  direction of Dr.
Alfred Lewy. We are looking for blind children (ages 5-8) and  blind young
adults (ages 17-20) who have little or no light perception. The  purpose of
this study is to identify abnormal body rhythms and sleeping  patterns of
blind children and young adults and to determine if these rhythms  affect sleep
quality and social/academic functioning.

The body clocks  of sighted people are reset every day by the daily rising
and setting of the  sun, a process that is not possible for the blind, as
they cannot receive  light through their eyes. This causes many completely
blind children and  adults to suffer from sleep problems. Blind children and
teenagers tend to  have body rhythms which free-run, meaning that their
natural body rhythms  drift later each day, causing sleep and activity problems.
This is similar to  the jet lag that people sometimes experience when they
travel. (For more  information on this phenomenon, type "circadian rhythms in
the blind" into  your internet browser.) We think that understanding and
treating this problem  is important for the social and academic functioning of
blind children in the  US, with the results of our study potentially
extending worldwide and  benefiting sighted children and young adults as well.

We will measure  body rhythms by using sleep diaries and wristwatch-style
activity monitors,  and by sometimes measuring melatonin levels in saliva.
Sleep quality and  daytime functioning will be determined by questionnaires
completed by  participants, teachers, and parents. The studies may also
involve daytime  saliva collection sessions, collected at the participants' home.
All costs of  participation will be covered by the investigators.

There are a number  of ways you could help us get the word out about this
study. First, you could  distribute the included flyers to families with
blind children and young  adults. It would also be helpful for us to know about
publications that are of  interest to families with blind children, so that
we may distribute  advertisements to those publications.

If you know of any potential  candidates who may qualify and/or who are
interested in learning more about  the study, or if you know of any
publications that are distributed to families  with blind children and young adults,
please have the candidate and/or their  parent(s) contact me at
_sleeplab at ohsu.sle_ (mailto:sleeplab at ohsu.edu)  or  503-494-1402.

Thank you very much for your help, and I hope to hear  from you soon.

Sincerely,

Amber Laurie

__._,_.___
_Messages in this topic _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/message/35476;_ylc=X3oDMTM1YThtbDd2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3
MDUwNDIwNTQEbXNnSWQDMzU0NzYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjU1MzkxOTQwBHRw
Y0lkAzM1NDc2) (1) _Reply (via web  post) _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwMWZuZDU0BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBz
cElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEbXNnSWQDMzU0NzYEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjU1Mzkx
OTQw?act=reply&messageNum=35476) | _Start a new topic _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNmRyZm5lBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM
1NDk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjU1MzkxOTQ
w)
_Messages_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNW5saHRjBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2VjA2Z0
cgRzbGsDbXNncwRzdGltZQMxMjU1MzkxOTQw)  | _Files_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJldXU0ZGZzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0O
ARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZmlsZXMEc3RpbWUDMTI1NTM5MTk0MA--)
  | _Photos_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJkMzVxNW1iBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2VjA2Z0
cgRzbGsDcGhvdARzdGltZQMxMjU1MzkxOTQw)  | _Links_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJlYThxMWk1BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0O
ARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbGlua3MEc3RpbWUDMTI1NTM5MTk0MA--)
  | _Database_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJibHJxdG1xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2Vj
A2Z0cgRzbGsDZGIEc3RpbWUDMTI1NTM5MTk0MA--)  | _Polls_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJlc28wYmowBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1N
Dk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcG9sbHMEc3RpbWUDMTI1NTM5MTk0M
A--)  | _Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJkbmpuZmM4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2
VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbWJycwRzdGltZQMxMjU1MzkxOTQw)  | _Calendar_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJjaTM5cjluBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdyc
ElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBzcEl
kAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDY2FsBHN0aW1lAzEyNTUzOTE5NDA-)
For more information and resources, please visit the list's  Website:

_http://www.growingstrong.org/bvi/bvimain.html_
(http://www.growingstrong.org/bvi/bvimain.html)

To  unsubscribe, send any message to:

)
_Change settings via the Web_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMzY3YjlnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwN
DIwNTQEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDc3RuZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTI1NTM5MTk0MA--)  (Yahoo! ID
required)
Change  settings via email: _Switch  delivery to Daily Digest_
(mailto:BVI-Parents-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email Delivery: Digest)  | _Switch
format to Traditional_
(mailto:BVI-Parents-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change Delivery Format: Traditional)
_Visit Your Group _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents;_ylc=X3oDMTJjajNkYzIyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2VjA2Z0
cgRzbGsDaHBmBHN0aW1lAzEyNTUzOTE5NDA-) | _Yahoo! Groups Terms of  Use _
(http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) | _Unsubscribe  _

Recent Activity
    *    3
_New Members_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlMmVsaGpiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2VjA3
Z0bARzbGsDdm1icnMEc3RpbWUDMTI1NTM5MTk0MA--)

_Visit Your Group _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BVI-Parents;_ylc=X3oDMTJkcjluNWZ2BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzM1NDk0OARncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwNDIwNTQEc2VjA3Z0
bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMjU1MzkxOTQw)

Give Back