[Fopbc] Holly Benson of Florida's Medicaid Reform project resigns

FOPBC at aol.com FOPBC at aol.com
Fri Oct 16 14:51:08 UTC 2009

Hello all, I thought this was interesting and surprising as well! I am just
 passing it along to all of you.
 Benson resigns as AHCA chief
 By Christine Jordan Sexton
 10/15/2009 © Health News Florida

 One of the chief architects of Florida's Medicaid Reform project has
resigned.

 Holly Benson, secretary of the Agency for Health Care Administration,
submitted
 a resignation letter to Gov. Charlie Crist on Wednesday saying her future
plans
 require it, although she did not say what they are. She is widely expected
 run for Attorney General.

 "Health care is at a critical crossroads, and its course is being
determined not
 in Tallahassee, but in Washington, D.C." she wrote. "Likewise, I find
myself at
 a critical juncture wherein I must consider how to best use my talents to
serve
 the people in our state."

 Her departure comes as Florida enters the final year of its controversial
 "Medicaid Reform" experiment, which was intended to hold down rising
costs,
 prevent fraud and coordinate patients' care. It remains unclear how much
money
 it saved and what the tradeoffs were.

 AHCA press secretary Tiffany Vause said there's been no announcement on
who will
 head the agency after Benson's Oct. 28 departure. Already, though, there
is
 interest in the job.

 "I would love to take a whack at it," said Rep. Ed Homan, an orthopedic
surgeon
 and Republican from Tampa. "It's a great time for anybody to get in there
and
 make some changes."

 State Sen. Durell Peaden said  he was surprised at the resignation,
although he
 had heard rumors that Benson was interested in the Attorney General
position.
 Peaden said he'd like to see Tom Arnold, AHCA Deputy Secretary, be named
to the
 top post.

 Arnold has had a long career in state health policy, working for AHCA and
the
 Department of Health. He's worked successfully with several governors and
 understands the multibillion-dollar Medicaid budget and the Reform pilot,
Peaden
 said.

 "We don't need to get anybody in there who needs on-the-job training," the
 senator said. When asked if he had an interest in the position, Peaden
replied:
 "Not at all. I have zero interest."

 Benson is best known as being the architect of Gov. Jeb Bush's experiment
 alter Medicaid from a limitless entitlement program for certain low-income
 groups - children, pregnant women, and the elderly and disabled -- to
something
 that more closely resembles private insurance. Benson served in the
Legislature
 for six years.

 She made a brief bid for the state Senate, but after drawing tough
opposition in
 the Republican primary from Don Gaetz, withdrew. Gaetz went on to win the
 general election.

 In 2006 Benson was named Secretary of the Department of Business and
 Professional Regulation by Gov. Charlie Crist. Then Crist named her AHCA
 Secretary in February 2008.

 Because she was the main architect of the Bush reform plan, her
appointment was
 controversial from the start. Her AHCA predecessor, physician Andrew
Agwunobi,
 opposed expansion of Medicaid Reform beyond its current five counties,
citing a
 critical report from his inspector general, Linda Keen.

 Within months of Benson's arrival at AHCA, Keen resigned from the agency.
 Thereafter, AHCA reversed its position on Medicaid Reform and lobbied for
it to
 be expanded into heavily populated Miami-Dade and Hillsborough counties,
among
 others. But the Legislature refused.

 The pilot project requires most Medicaid beneficiaries in Ft. Lauderdale,
Duval,
 Baker, Clay and Nassau counties to enroll in HMOs or other managed care
plans.
 It is made possible by a five-year waiver of federal Medicaid rules that
will
 expire in 2010.

 Benson has placed emphasis on getting more information on health costs and
 quality to consumers through the state's Web site,
_www.FloridaHealthFinder.gov_ (http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/) .
 Coincidentally, AHCA received word today that it received an award for
that
 effort from the National Association of Health Data Organizations.

 --Christine Jordan Sexton is co-founder of TallahasseeReporters.com.

  Kirk

 Kirk Harmon
 1031 Lenmore CT.
 Orlando, FL. 32812
 Home office: (407) 380-3371

 Cell: (407) 473-2176
 E-mail address: _kvharmon54 at gmail.com_ (mailto:kvharmon54 at gmail.com)

 BVA/FRG
 E.Central Florida
 Associate Director

 911 cell phone
 bank
  Chairperson
 BVA/FRG

 Mayors Veterans Advisory counsil
 member

  Blind advocate
 and fundraiser

 " Smiles are nothing more than thirty second vacations!"
Nfbf-l:

_http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbf-l_nfbnet.org/bluegolfshoes%40aol.com_
(http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbf-l_nfbnet.org/bluegolfshoes@aol.com)