[Greater-baltimore] A Big Thank You

nfbmd nfbmd at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 8 18:17:29 UTC 2014

Hello All,

We were very successful in the Maryland General Assembly this year. We
achieved our three objectives. As you will remember, our first objective was
to keep the $250,000 in the Governor's budget for the Center of Excellence
in Nonvisual Access to Commerce, Public Information and Education (CENA).

The General Assembly passed HB396/SB446, bills that instruct the Maryland
Department of Disabilities in partnership with the National Federation of
the Blind to conduct a study on how Maryland colleges teach accessibility
concepts in their various computer science and information systems
curricula.

The MD General Assembly also passed HB1242/SB419, bills that will provide
consistent funding for LBPH. We will let you know when the governor signs
these bills.

Many thanks to all who wrote letters, sent emails, attended hearings, made
phone calls, and came to Annapolis to visit with Delegates and Senators. We
were successful because of each of you and our high level of participation.
Congratulations to NFBMD on three important victories that will have long
term benefits for blind citizens in Maryland.

Sharon Maneki