[gui-talk] NV Access Announces Release of NVDA 2014.1

Christo de Klerk cjdk at mweb.co.za
Fri Mar 28 08:42:24 UTC 2014

If I may weigh in here. I have been a Window-Eyes user and strong supporter
since the birth of Window-Eyes version 1 in the middle 90s and currently own
a fully paid-up, fully updated version of Window-Eyes. I have used it to the
full, to the extent that I wrote a few apps for it.

However, in November of last year I switched over to NVDA on a fulltime
bases, though still keeping Window-Eyes and my Window-Eyes apps updated,
just in case. I have made the change, because I got the sense that the
developers of Window-Eyes are beginning to lose the plot. In my opinion NVDA
outperforms Window-Eyes in many respects. My system is substantially more
stable and much more responsive. I had regular Window-Eyes crashes and
submitted error reports, but in all the years I have played with NVDA and
during the time I have been using it fulltime, I have yet to see it crash.

There are several applications where Window-Eyes simply does not function or
functions poorly which NVDA handles like a breeze. I wrote to GW Micro about
those several times, but they just never got addressed. One such example is
the Windows Task Scheduler. Window-Eyes makes a total dog's breakfast of it,
while NVDA works perfectly. Another example: in Outlook 2010, when you arrow
up or down the list of messages in your Inbox and want to read the current
item's line to get, say, the spelling of a name, it is practically
impossible to rout the mouse or WE mouse to that line to read character by
character; in NVDA you simply read the current Navigator Object and you can
read it character by character or however you wish. You have a similar
situation in the list of files in Windows Explorer. In my view NVDA handles
Browse Mode orders of magnitude better and more intuitively than does
Window-Eyes.

Sure, there are areas where NVDA can be improved. For me the two most
important of those are the Outlook Calendar and contacts in Outlook, but I
am sure it will not be too long until those issues are also addressed.

I think NVDA is slick and slim and does what it should do very elegantly,
while Window-Eyes is on its way of becoming bloatware. I will now not spend
any more money on Window-Eyes. It is my opinion (and I stress that it is
only my opinion) that GW Micro's deal with Microsoft to provide free
versions of Wineyes to Office owners, is a last ditch attempt to gain
greater market share. I can see Window-Eyes becoming abandonware in the
foreseeable future.

I think GW Micro has wasted too many resources on side-issues like GW
Connect, Social-Eyes and the like, rather than sorting out real Window-Eyes
issues of stability, performance, access to applications and so on.

I believe that NVDA has become a true contender. Do not say it has not
without first using it intensively and getting to know it intimately.

Kind regards

Christo