[HIABS] TODAY: Call or Email the Conference Committee to End Subminimum Wages

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Apr 19 07:21:33 UTC 2018

Aloha, my Federation Ohana:

We have moved to the next phase of our advocacy to end the payment of subminimum wages to workers with disabilities, and we need your help again to put a nail in the coffin!

The bill is now in conference committee, a process where a small group of Representatives and Senators meet to negotiate the final language of the bill.

Please email or call the Representatives and Senators on the conference committee for HB 1627.

  *   Rep. Aaron Johanson, 808-586-9470, repjohanson at capitol.hawaii.gov<mailto:repjohanson at capitol.hawaii.gov>
  *   Rep. Daniel Holt, 808-586-6180, repholt at capitol.hawaii.gov<mailto:repholt at capitol.hawaii.gov>
  *   Rep. Linda Ichiyama, 808-586-6220, repichiyama at capitol.hawaii.gov<mailto:repichiyama at capitol.hawaii.gov>
  *   Rep. Lauren Matsumoto, 808-586-9490, repmatsumoto at capitol.hawaii.gov<mailto:repmatsumoto at capitol.hawaii.gov>
  *   Sen. Jill Tokuda, 808-587-7215, sentokuda at capitol.hawaii.gov<mailto:sentokuda at capitol.hawaii.gov>
  *   Sen. Gilbert Keith-Agaran, 808-586-7344, senkeithagaran at capitol.hawaii.gov<mailto:senkeithagaran at capitol.hawaii.gov>
  *   Sen. Kalani English, 808-587-7225, senenglish at capitol.hawaii.gov<mailto:senenglish at capitol.hawaii.gov>

Your message can look something like this:

Subject: HB 1627 Conference Committee

Aloha Senator Tokuda,

               Mahalo for your continued support of the effort to end the payment of subminimum wages to workers with disabilities in Hawaii. I am grateful to learn that you will serve on the conference committee for House Bill 1627. I would like to respectfully request that the conference committee:

  1.  Change the effective date so that the bill will take effect upon signing.
  2.  Add Section 1 from SB 3023, HD 1, a similar bill, which amends the definition of "qualified community rehabilitation program" to accommodate the end of subminimum wages.
Otherwise, I believe Senate Draft 2 looks great, and I appreciate the decision to eliminate the payment of subminimum wages to workers with all types of disabilities in Hawaii.

Mahalo for your leadership in granting the protection of minimum wage requirements to workers with disabilities!

Respectfully,

Name
Address

##

Please let me know if you need anything! We are close, but we can't back off until the governor signs the bill!

Mahalo,

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Legislative Committee Chair
Honolulu Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez