[Home-on-the-Range] Call to action on senate bill 276

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 18 00:38:50 UTC 2022

Greetings Kansas NFB colleagues and cohorts,

Earlier today the House children and seniors committee pass the bill and exactly the same form as it passed the Senate. An effort to expand protections for parents with other disabilities failed due to concerns that committee members had regarding uncertainty in definitions of disability.

Now that the bill has cleared the committee it is time to contact your representative to urge his or her yes vote on the bill when it comes up in the house chamber. If you do not know who your representative is you may find out by logging onto
Www.ksleglookup.org
Simply type in your street address and you will easily find their name and other contact information including the email address of your representative.

In writing to your representative you might say something like the following

Dear representative (last name),

I am a blind constituent who lives in your district and I am writing to urge you to support the blind parents Wrightsville (SV276). This bill will give parents the much needed tools they need to challenge any action which threatens to remove their children from the home, or deny applications for foster care, adoption, guardianship, and other aspects of childcare. Such actions are often not based on the actual capability of line people, but rather on the basis of misconceptions and stereotypes about the limitations and capabilities of blind people. Therefore, I urge you to vote yes when the bill comes up for vote in the house chamber.

Sincerely yours,
(your name)
Address, city, state, ZIP Code

A big thanks goes out to all of those who submitted oral and written testimonies to both the house and senate committees who work the bill. We need the house to take action on the veil before first adjournment on April 1. Thank you in advance for all of your efforts in helping Kansas to become the 17th state to enact the blind parents rights bill.

Best regards,
Rob Tabor | first vice president/legislative Director national Federation of the blind Kansas
(785) 865-9959
Rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net