[humanser] seeking info

Vicky Winslow vicky at well.com
Sun Sep 20 01:56:26 UTC 2009

Hi Mary,
I worked on a children's inpatient ward for a few months. At first the kids were frightened of the dog. Once that wore off though,
They took every chance they could to come see me. When I walked around the ward, they would greet the dog who, of course, took no
notice of them while working.
I can't tell you how invaluable the dog was. Out of 50 kids, only one did not wish to see me. I have no idea if it was the dog, my
blindness, gender, skin color or any other variable.

The adults were way more problematic and I had to prove to them that, yes, the dog was allowed, yes, I could do the job. By the time
I left, they too were sorry to see me go.

Vicky Winslow, LMSW