[humanser] prelicensed social work jobs

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 16 14:20:23 UTC 2012

Hi Quinto,

I was using a long white cane during graduate school in the late 1970s, but
had some residual vision.  Now I still use my long white cane, but have only
bright light perception.

I felt as you do during my first few years as a social worker.  It was
through the philosophy of the NFB that I, somewhat reluctantly, learned that
I am a competant person as are you.  No one in grad school or in their early
professional work feels as if they  can do what we are called on to do, not
until we learn how to do it through the school of hard knocks.  As blind
folks we are taught that we need to be highly cautious cutting up onions or
crossing the street, so it is not surprising that we see professional
limitations.

It is important in your professional work that you get involved in your own
psychotherapy as we use ourselves in this work, however finding a
psychotherapist who doesn't see you as disabled may be difficult.

Best of luck.

JD Townsend LCSW
Helping the light dependent to see.
Daytona Beach, Earth, Sol System