[humanser] Emergency Psychiatric sub units

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 11 03:31:14 UTC 2013

Hello Mary:

I have had trouble on acute psychiatric units, especially having a dog guide
in attendance.  Although the difficulties were ironed out, the mistrust that
a blind person can protect herself seems the stumbling block for most
managers.  Of course this is every worker in an acute unit's responsibility
ty, but they will imagine that we are wide eyed innocents and easy targets
for agressive patients.

Are you looking at a position as an emergency room screener?   I think that
would be an exciting job.

JD

-----Original Message-----
From: MARY CHAPPELL
Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 5:44 PM
To: 'Human Services Mailing List'
Cc: blind-counselors at topica.com
Subject: [humanser] Emergency Psychiatric sub units

Colleagues,

I know that some on this list, JD Townsend and others, have experience in
inpatient settings. I am wondering about any experience in sub settings in
acute stabilization units or other emergency room experiences in mental
health. Might anyone entertain some questions and discussion?

Mary Tatum Chappell