[humanser] Give phone number when promottimg online?

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Sun Apr 13 18:37:12 UTC 2014

Here in the states the Salvation army strives to provide low income and
others services like food pantries, medical care and mental health services.
Our local community center has these and a counselor volunteers her time to
help all who are in need.  Some folks are too embarrassed to actually go get
help from a specialized enter for mental health but there's less stigma to
say "I'm gong to the Salvation army."  They could be volunteering, getting
food, or something else and people don't ask questions.  Many who need the
help have no insurance to pay for it either so they come too.  It might be a
way to be known and then develop a practice from there but in another
building so  people don't get confused.  Just a thought.  I know we value
Mary highly and we are sad she only meets one day a week with people now.
She used to come Tuesdays and Wednesdays and her slate was full.

Get connected with NAMI and help your people through the organization.  They
help patients of all ages and the families.  There are  workshops to help
family understand what's going on so they can be more supportive.  They
offer training to fire, police, etc and they advocate for improved services
and ending the stigma of mental health.  Each month they offer support
groups too.  I assume NAMI (National Alliance of the Mentally Ill) has a
international component by now.  I know our chapter has the family to family
education classes are offered in Spanish too with good attendance. Our
chapter president just received the volunteer of the year award for our
community.  He ahs done much to  educate the community and improve services.
He did it because his sister and a child both have mental health  issues.
His work gave him name recognition and he has become an alderman on our city
council.  I am grateful because he  will be supportive of anything that
improves the lives of everyone especially us with disabilities.

Just a thought.   I know what works in the Midwest us  might not work in
other countries.  Things are offered in Spanish because we have many
immigrant families that are struggling with the same things and I understand
getting help is not culturally acceptable.  You are to be strong and take
what the lord gives you.

Best wishes for you and your journey,

Ericka J. Short

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13
"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short