[humanser] FW: [Nfb-lions] New member intro and penpal magazine

Sandy sandraburgess at msn.com
Mon Mar 3 04:00:54 UTC 2014

Ashley,

It seemed that the blind writers wrote about their experiences as blind
people (going Christmas shopping with a white cane,etc._)  My suggestion is
to see if you can find some past issues and read what is in them as far as
from contributors.  I haven't looked, but I think the online Ziegler is at
matildaziegler.com.  When the magazine was in Braille, it didn't have blind
who contributed.  Then it stopped Braille production and a different editor
came, plus different design for the publication.  I wasn't reading it for a
while, then began getting it on Newsline.

Ashley, I had experiences in public school as the only kid with blindness.
It was before any kind of laws to provide for children with disabilities
were written.  My mom wanted me in my neighborhood school, while dad wanted
to send me to a residential program.  The few friends I had began to leave
me when we reached near teen age, the time when we get more in to what peers
say, and when my differences seemed to be more of a concern to peers than
when we were younger.  They got to drive, dated, and so on.  I went
residential in seventh grade, and my elementary school friends started what
we then called junior high, and had new friends.  Perhaps I should attempt
to write about this type of experience from my past.

Ashley, I'm curious about your school and friend experiences.

Sandy