[humanser] [HumanServ[ across the board problems with accessible mental health materials

Lisa Irving peacefulwoman89 at cox.net
Wed Oct 21 00:07:41 UTC 2015

Hello,

I'm writing mostly to vent a little and to ask for help finding solutions. I
feel frustrated and I see there lower expactions for me. I'm tired of
feeling like I'm set up for limited success when I attend most public mental
health classes, local and national conferences and some local mental health
trainings. I've pretty much come to anticipate these materials; especially
the manuals and workbooks will not in any format except print. This was the
case today.

I signed up to take Mental Health First Aid training. Although the County
HHS manages the grant training I understand this 8-hour certification class
is nationwide. Has anyone else taken the Mental Health First Aid training?
If so, do you have the workbook in a useable digital format? Par for the
course, the agency was totally unprepared to include a blind person.

On the other hand, I really need to give Mental Health Association of San
Diego concession points. I learned about the training over the weekend.
However, given the fact that the ADA has been in place one year shy of my
twenty-six year old son, I'm not too sympathetic when I discover agencies.
have made no effort to prepare for the participation of a blind individual.

I have another question as I try to come up with solutions when I complain.
Is anyone familiar with any grant-driven programs or government funds
designed to assist non-for-profit organizations to become compliant  with
state and disability laws; specifically, funding to format manuals and
workbooks. It has come to my attention that the cost of formatting one
workbook can run upwards of $1,500. I think in some ways non-for-profit
organizations in particular are set up for failure to comply with lawful
accommodations.

From,

Lisa Irving