[humanser] Blind counselors and body language

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Fri Sep 1 03:32:50 UTC 2017

At 01:02 PM 8/31/2017, Ayoub Zurikat via HumanSer wrote:
>Good evening, brother,

Well, contrary to what people might think, keying in on the little
cues layered within the folds of someone's presence though not
exactly quantifiable, can serve to indicate some inkling of those
mysterious nonvisual nuggets that sighted people always seem so
concerned about, as if all manner of therapeutic/counseling/Rehab
counseling relationships could crash and burn just because the blind
clinician may not realize whether patient has his hands in his
pocket. And Perhaps, on a technical, quantified  level it may be an
issue but there's a tremendous degree of information that your ears
and good sense can experience firsthand  or find a wherewithal that
might suggest the happening of such idiosyncrasies real time..
To hone these skills, I found a tremendous resource in the
myriads  whom live outside near where I live.
Experiencing people wrapped in this state of unfiltered, un
socialization is precious, not duplicated anywhere and a must if you
are a blind person endeavoring to enter social service because there
exists a freedom rarely available to us to try things with people
whom run the proverbial gambit of human configurations and life experiences.
And, I have never heard of a clinician feeling he must limit his
counseling to blind clients.
So, don't worry about these things so much. Try it out. Learn the
cues to listen for so you can feel you are in control of the interaction.
And, you might not wanna point to your blindness so much as you are
administering counseling. In my experience, I learned so very much
about both the human as well as my own  blindness as well as how best
to handle Ol'Sighty.
Call me if you want: 408-209-3239
Car

options or get your account info for HumanSer: