[Iabs-talk] chicago minutes december 2014

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 5 15:45:34 UTC 2015

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER MINUTES

DECEMBER 13, 2014

First Vice-President Patti Chang called the meeting to order at 12:03 P.M.

Introductions:  There were 35 people present at the meeting.

What is Happening:  David Meyer reported that Frank Markosek, Teresa Meyers
brother passed away in November.  Pam Gillmore reported that Don has cancer.
He began treatment on the previous Thursday.  His spirits are good and he
and Pam intend to persevere.  One may get in touch with Don by calling 7 7
3-6 8 5-1 8 9 3.  She asked that we keep her and Don in our prayers.  Michal
Nowicki mentioned some difficulties he is experiencing in preparing for the
Law School Admissions test.  The documents he has received to study for this
test have been inaccessible image files.  He has been in touch with several
lawyers who may assist him in dealing with this difficulty.  Mary Monti
reported that her son David is now a Nationally Certified teacher.  Her
eldest grandson has been accepted to attend both Michigan State University
and the University of Wisconsin.

Presidential Reports

National Presidential Release

Mark Riccobono, President, National Federation of the Blind reported on the
following items.  The Bid for Equality Auction is underway, and will run
through the remainder of the week.  A Giving Tuesday block party will take
place at the Jernigan Institute on December 2.  We have entered into an
agreement with Card Tronics, which will create an Accessibility center of
Excellence.  Eventually, all Card Tronics machines will be accessible to the
blind.  It is anticipated that the Space Available bill will become part of
the National Defense Authorization Act.  This act has already passed the
house and is awaiting action in the senate.  We were all asked to contact
our senators and ask that they support the Space available legislation.
Anyone wishing to request a braille letter from Santa must get their request
in by December 19.  Efforts are now underway to streamline a list for Future
Reflections, which is our magazine for parents of blind children.  It is
available via email, braille or by audio file.  If you wish to receive
Future Reflections, please notify the National by mail, email or telephone.
The address is 200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place, Baltimore, MD
21230.  Email address is nfbpublications at nfb.org.  The phone number is 4 1
0-6 5 9-9 3 1 4 EXT 2 3 4 4.  A new NFB Ap has been sent to the Apple store
for review.  Once the ap is released, we are asked to review it and provide
suggestions on what should be in the ap.  The 75 days of action are now
complete.  We began our 75th year on November 16.  Many chapters have been
strengthened and/or created thanks to the 75 Days in Action program.  We
need to continue to build in the months and years to come.  Bob Brown, who
served as President in South Dakota between 2004 and 2008 passed away in
November.  Dr. Maurer gave some reflections on the past year in NFB.  He
mentioned the Card Tronics settlement and the creation of the new KNFB
Mobile Ap for the Iphone as major accomplishments by the Federation this
year.  He also expressed appreciation for the membership of the
organization, saying that the Federation is made up of brilliant, loving and
giving individuals.  Mr. Riccobono stated that his reflections were similar
to those of Dr. Maurer.

State Report

Denise Avant, NFBI President thanked everyone who attended the most recent
NFBI state convention.  She also mentioned that as one of the original seven
states, Illinois will have a major role in planning the upcoming National
convention in Orlando.  She asked that Steve Hastalis and Pam Gillmore come
up with events of historical significance nationally which may have occurred
in Illinois.  We will among other things, be asked to contribute several
door prizes for the next National convention.  The Washington Seminar will
be coming up in late January.  Those who will be representing Chicago are
Denise Avant, Adrienne Falconer, David Meyer and Glenn Moore.  Others from
Illinois will include Jonathan Brayfield, Bob Gardner, Annette Grove, Leslie
Hamric and Christina Kucky who will represent parents.  The Spring Seminar
will take place at the Midway Marriott on April 17-18.  The teacher seminar
will take place on April 17, with seminars for parents and students taking
place on April 18.  The Chicago Bell program will again take place at the
Chicago Lighthouse.  It is scheduled from June 18 through July 1.  We may
schedule a second Bell program in Springfield.  The IPAD Mini Raffle will
close on January 5, with the drawing taking place on January 10.  We were
all encouraged to sign up for Amazon Smile.  Any purchase made through
Amazon Smile will give us ½% of the purchase price of that item.

Legislation

Steve Hastalis mentioned that though some bills may be introduced in the new
congress under different names, the content of this legislation would remain
the same.  Jemal Powell mentioned that Congressman Gregg Harper will
introduce the bill which was HR831 during the last two years.

Secretaries Minutes

It was moved and seconded to accept the minutes to the October meeting as
presented.  The motion carried unanimously.

Committee Reports

Fundraising:  Ken Staley asked that all outstanding pledges of the
read-a-thon be paid.  He mentioned that he gave $1,000 toward this project.
This happened because the rest of the chapter was able to raise more than
$1,000.  Our annual Games Night fundraiser will take place on January 10,
following the chapter meeting.  Cost for this event is $25 per person.
Participants will enjoy pizza, salad and soda complements of Exchequer.
David Meyer mentioned that we will hold a fundraiser at Dicks Last Resort on
Thursday, March 5.  The cost for this event is $50 per ticket.  Participants
are entitled to 3 hours of beer, wine, soda and appetizers.

Membership:  Bob Hansen asked for someone to assist him with membership.

Old Business

David Meyer mentioned that the Blind Services Planning Council received a
written report from the acting Bureau Chief.  This was the first time a
written report was generated from his office.  It was sent to the Council
one day prior to the meeting.

New Business

Steve Hastalis announced that the next Chicago Transit Authority Disability
Advisory Committee meeting will take place on January 12 in the CTA Board
room, 565 West Lake Street, Chicago IL.

The meeting adjourned at 1:04 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

Robert A. Hansen, Secretary

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and Channel Administrator, NFB-NewsLine

Chicago Chapter President