[il-talk] FW: Article from National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska THE NEBRASKA INDEPENDENT 2010 11 01

Robert A.Hansen roberthansen33 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 14:48:54 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: "robertHansen1970 at gmail.com" <roberthansen1970 at gmail.com>
Sent: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 07:25:37 Pacific Daylight Time
To: roberthansen33 at yahoo.com
Subject: FW: Article from National Federation of the Blind of Nebraska THE NEBRASKA INDEPENDENT 2010 11 01

-----Original Message-----

From: "NFB-NEWSLINE Online" <nfbnewsline at nfb.org>

Sent: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 05:35:04 Pacific Daylight Time

To: "Robert Hansen" <roberthansen1970 at gmail.com>

By Mark Alexander.

 My name is Alex, and I have been blind for just over a year now, and there are things that I wish to ask.

 How is a blind person suppose to act?

 I have found that trying to do the right things  and learn how to slow down and take my time has been the hardest for me to learn.

 I have spent my time wondering why this happened to me then I got over my pity-party and took steps to learn what I need so I can continue to function just like my family and friends.

 I have discovered that my loved ones have had a more difficult time coping with my blindness than I however.

 With the help of the Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired and the National Federation of the Blind, I have learned that I can still do the same things I have always done and enjoyed.

 There has been a learning curve at times, and I do not always pick up the lessons quickly, but I know nothing but myself can stop me from being active and vital in society.

 Yet my family and friends do not always understand what I know; the blind can do whatever they put their mind to.

 Patients was the hardest virtue to learn in the beginning.

 There was a lot of trial and error at first especially as I figured what method worked best for me.

 I admit I had my moments of frustration and confusion, and at times I had to stop, walk away then come at something with a fresh perspective.

 I never gave up though.

 I wasnt ready to admit defeat, and I knew I could still be independent.

 The biggest trial has been dealing with what others think though.

 The more I try to be normal the more people look at me and wonder why I even try.

 I was always taught to stand up for myself and over-come what ever obstacle life throws in my path, but apparently they werent talking about blindness when I was taught this lesson.

 So many people in my life think I am crazy to expect independence as a blind person so I ask, how is a blind person suppose to act?

 I am beginning to believe that I can only do what I know to be right for my life.

 When it comes down to it, no one else matters in discerning what and how I should do things as a blind person.

 The lesson of letting go is a hard one though.

 I have been taught to read Braille,cook  and travel with a long white cane.

 I clean the house and manage to maintain my daily hygene.

 I work in my shop and cut lumber with a click ruler.

 I even plow snow in the drive using a rope with little bells to know where I have shoveled and where I still need to work.

 Damn if this technique hasnt worked out nicely.

 I use the computer by listening to this voice we know as JAWS.

 Am I one to sit on my duff and wait for some  one to help, not this guy.

 If I need something done, I would rather figure it out on my own then do nothing at all.

 Yes, I have made mistakes along the way.

 We all do that, but often we can learn from our mistakes.

 Yet the question is still, how is a blind person suppose to act?

 When I need help I will ask, but I am finding that most the time I can do things without any help.

 I like to be challenged, and I think I learn better when I have to do it on my own.

 My family and friends still have trouble accepting the fact that I can be independent.

 A good friend of mine who use to come to me with all his problems, no longer does so because he does not know how to act around me now.

 He feels my problem is bigger than any of his.

 It doesnt matter how much I tell him and others that I am not bothered by my blindness, they just keep believing what they want.

 My other friends do not invite me over anymore either.

 They all say they do not know how to act around me now that I am blind.

 You would think I have the plague or something.

 I try to put them at ease, but for some reason no one will look past their own ideas.

 When I do run into people I know they often speak very loud and slow as though I can not understand them, but it is they who do not understand.

 I find that I have become a teacher while I am still a student.

 I try to teach what I can as I learn as much as I can.

 I dont feel that different and I want to be treated the way I was always treated, but I still wonder, how are the blind suppose to act?

 I am still Alex who has a sense of humor.

 I get happy and mad just like I use to .

 I want to be the same guy I always was.

 I want my loved ones to understand what I understand.

 I want them to be in my life, and I want them to realize I can be independent.

 Most of all I want to be the normal guy.

 No more awkward silences, no more lonely nights because people think we no longer have common interest.

 I will even answer stupid questions just as long as people still talk to me.

 I take a lot of walks on a trail near my house.

 I stop to pet dogs and their owners start up conversations with me.

 I find that total strangers do not care that I am blind.

 Out there I am the confident, capable blind guy.

 Out there I am still Alex.

 I struggle to find meaning not because I am blind, but because I am no longer considered the same person to my loved ones.

 I still want to be a part of life, but I always have to climb the damn mountain that others put in my path.

 Where I see a road with a couple bumps, others see a road full of holes and steep, rocky mountains.

 So I ask you, how is a blind person suppose to act?.

This article is provided to you as a courtesy of NFB-NEWSLINE® Online for your sole use. The content of this E-mail is protected under copyright law, and is not to be distributed in any manner to others; infringement of our non-dissemination agreement is strictly prohibited.

Allowing someone to have access to this material is in violation of the Terms of Use agreement that you electronically signed when you signed up for NFB-NEWSLINE® Online. Please do not forward this E-mail or its attachments to any other person or disseminate it in any manner.

Thank you.

The NFB-NEWSLINE® Team.