[il-talk] Audio Description on TV

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 02:38:45 UTC 2014

I was watching a rerun of “The Big Bang Theory” on my local cable channel for the Turner Broadcasting System (TBS) when I noticed it was now being audio described!  Not sure when this started, but it’s obviously very recent.  I noticed today that a cartoon show on that channel just before “Big Bang” was also audio described.

I haven’t thoroughly investigated this, but so far TBS is the only channel I’ve seen the AD.  I just checked out a Nova show on PBS, and it wasn’t audio described.

Note that you have to change your TV settings to receive audio description.  The TV I’ve noted the AD on is an old one, and I remember changing the settings to receive AD many years ago.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a clue how we did that back then, so can’t really help anyone on how to do that.

Bob