[il-talk] TIME ACT HR188/S2001

Denise Avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 23:12:24 UTC 2015

Hello all,
I just wanted to respond to a question. TIME stands for Transitioning To Integrated And Meaningful Employment. Both of the House (HR188) and Senate (S2001) versions are designed to phase out Section 14C of the Fair Labor Standards Act. The 14c provision allows certain employers to apply for special wage certificate, which allows them to pay people with disabilities below the minimum wage, and sometimes far below the minimum wage. The basis for 14c is that people with disabilities cannot compete in the labor force with their non disabled peers. This is not true.  I am attaching the fact sheet for your review. So far, Illinois has three co-sponsors, Representatives, Luis Gutierrez, Jan Shakowsky and now Mike Quigley. We are looking for Representatives Robin Kelly, Tammy Duckwork, Bobby Rush, Danny Davis, and the representatives in the rest of the state to sign on. I am asking all of you to call, e-mail and visit if necessary your representatives in congress, and ask them to  co-sponsor HR188. Call Senators Kirk and Durbin and ask them to co-sponsor S2001. Like Patti says, persistence pays off. Thanks.

Denise R. Avant
President, National Federation Of The Blind Of Illinois
Live the life you want