[Jayhawk-chapter] Jayhawk Chapter President's Report, January 2014

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 16 23:16:12 UTC 2014

Greetings, Jayhawk Federationists,

First I wish to convey my regrets for being unable to be with you for our
first meeting of 2014. Susan's favorite aunt passed last week after
succumbing to a bout of pneumonia. The memorial service will be held on
Sunday afternoon in Bridgewater Virginia. This is a small community in
Rockingham County in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley in the vicinity of
Harrisonburg and Charlottesville. We will remain in Virginia with family
until January 26 when we make the trek northward to Washington DC for the
2014 NFB Washington Seminar which runs from Monday, January 27 to Thursday,
January 30.

This leads me to mention that we have eight proud and enthusiastic delegates
who will participate in the 2014 Washington Seminar. They include Susan
Tabor, Rob Tabor, and Renee Morgan, all from our chapter. Other members of
the Kansas delegation include Tom Page, Kansas state affiliate president,
Leonard Silkey, South-central Chapter president, Meg Silkey, Anna Avramenko,
and Andrew Kraine. The Kansas delegation will divide into two teams lead by
myself and Leonard Silkey. Leonard's team will meet with Representatives
Huleskamp and Pompeo and Senator Roberts while my team will meet with
Senator Moran and Representatives Jenkins and Yoder. We will convene an
informational teleconference call on Tuesday, January 21 at 7:00pm for those
who will be in attendance. However, please note any member of the Kansas
affiliate is welcome to join the call. Those who have participated in
previous Washington Seminar events are encouraged to share their insights.
Anyone who is not going to DC this year and are curious as to what the event
is like is also invited to join the call. The numbers to dial into the call
are:

916 233 4200 (unlimited long distance) or 866 476 8702 toll free. The access
code is 950655 followed by the hash or pound (#) key.

Since most of you were unable to attend the 2013 state convention in
Wichita, you may not know that we have a new state president. It is Tom Page
who moved into the presidency at the resignation of Donna Wood who resigned
a year early due to health issues. Yours truly is now the first vice
president and we have some new board members as well. These are Randy Phifer
of the Johnson County chapter, and Donna Wood who was appointed to be a
director at large. Tom and I are both serving on an interim basis until the
2014 state convention when elections of officers are regularly scheduled.

The Tom Page era is getting off to a very good start and two state board
meetings were held via teleconference. Committee chairmen were appointed and
include Donna Wood, 2014 state convention program committee, Serena Nickell,
Taptracks Newsletter editor, Rob Tabor, chairman of legislative and
NewslineR as well as the audit and finance committee, and Diane Hemphill as
chair of the Ken Tiede Memorial Scholarship awards committee. Tom wants the
board to meet more often than in the past, but this should enable the board
to have shorter meetings.

The state board will be transferring $175,000 to start an investment
program. The funds will be placed with Financial Partners Group, a financial
planning firm located in Overland Park. Dick Mellinger will be our
investment advisor and we believe he will do a very good job of handling our
funds so we can realize a reasonable return on investments under prevailing
market conditions.

I conclude this report in the same manner as the national presidential
release. What does the cat call a bunch of mice on roller skates?  Drum roll
please.  Meals on wheels.

Submitted by Rob Tabor, Jayhawk Chapter president