[Jayhawk-chapter] Letter-writing Campaign re. AER/NAC Accreditation

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 20 17:44:03 UTC 2018

Greetings Jayhawk Federationists,

You may recall that at our January Jayhawk chapter meeting I asked for and
got a directive from you all to write a letter in protest of the Association
for Education and Rehabilitation of the BBlind and Visually Impaired
(AERBVI) in its attempt to revive the old National Accreditation Council for
Agencies Serving the Blind (NAC). Howeer, on further consideration I decided
that our message would speak much louder if we all wrote letters as
concerned blind individuals and allies. At our meeting on February 17 I
stated I would write the first letter and would send it to you to give you
some ideas as to how this letter should be approached.

The letter is posted below and is also attached as an MS-Word document. I do
not commend you to match the letter I sent, but I offer it as an example
from which you may glean certain basics, such as making the letter brief and
to the point. Be natural in your communication style and choice of words
while taking care to avoid obvious mistakes in spelling, grammar, ssyntax,
and punctuation.  Although I did not mention my nFB affiliation in my
letter, you are totally free to do so if you feel it is appropriate.

So let's make our voices of Federation uhity heard loud and clear, and happy
letter-writing.

Best regards,

Rob Tabor | president Jayhawk Chaptre National Federation of the Blind of
Kansas

(785) 865-9959

Association for Education and Rehabilitation of the Blind

And Visually Impaired

1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 440

Alexandria, VA 22311-1744

February 20, 2018

Dear AER Executive Director and board members,,

It has come to my attention that your organization has chosen to undertake
the accreditation of rehabilitation agencies and other public and private
organizations serving the blind, and that this is being accomplished by
reconstituting the National Accreditation Council (NAC). As a concerned
blind American I am aware that NAC as previously constituted persistently
failed or refused to include blind persons in the development and
enforcement of qualitative standards for the agencies that provides services
to us. I am also deeply disturbed that AER has no intention and no plans to
include us in the formation and enforcement of such accreditation standards.

Therefore, I join thousands of my blind colleagues across the nation in
calling upon your organization to cease and desist from establishing AER as
the standards and accreditation body for agencies for the blind in the
United States.

Sincerely,

Robert L Tabor, Esq.

Lawrence KS/USA