[Journalists] backpacks are unprofessional?

Darrell Shandrow darrell.shandrow at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 12:24:39 UTC 2009

Hello Martha,

I suspect this is a cultural issue that has to do with the customs observed
in various types of environments and situations more than it is a hard and
fast rule. We've just learned that many sighted reporters for at least one
well-known media organization do wear them. Perhaps, you might consider
asking your professor to justify his/her rule against wearing backpacks. If
the argument makes sense, and you can handle all your specialized blindness
gear some other way, then don't wear the backpack. If, however, the argument
is not logical and/or you really need the backpack as a consideration
involving your disability, then an exception to this rule for you would
quite likely be considered a reasonable accommodation. If the professor
gives you a hard time or marks you down for wearing one, check with your
university's disability resources office and the dean of your school of
journalism. I'm sure that, once that's done, a reasonable accommodation or
workable compromise can be reached. :-)

Regards,

Darrell