[KeyStoneChapter] Fwd: Updates, Reminders, and Resources from the Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities

Stacie Leap stacie.leap at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 18:37:02 UTC 2024

FYI
Stacie

*Stacie Leap*
stacie.leap at gmail.com | 215.776.6741

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities <ADA.Request at phila.gov>
Date: Thu, Mar 21, 2024 at 2:00 PM
Subject: Updates, Reminders, and Resources from the Mayor's Office for
People with Disabilities
To: <stacie.leap at gmail.com>

Check out this week's updates, reminders, and resources from the Mayor's
Office for People with Disabilities
[image: Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities "Making sure the city
is inclusive to people of all abilities through advocacy and education.
Text is over an image of a wheelchair and a sidewalk with grass.]
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=6ef1de43a7&e=bf56a86ce3>

March 21, 2024

*The Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities *

*Checkout This Week’s Updates, Reminder's and Resources *

*Highlights included in this communication:*

   -

   *Letter from the Executive Director, Amy Nieves *
   -

   *Recording of our most recent Public Meeting is now available!*
   -

   *4/22/24: Community Conversation: Pedestrian Safety with Streets *
   -

   *Disability Data Project Launching, sign up to participate by 4/6/13! *
   -

   *One Book: One Philadelphia: Tru Biz*
   -

   *Food Distribution Resources *

*Spring 2024 Letter from the Executive Director:*

I hope that as the warmer weather and spring flowers are upon you that you
are also excited and welcoming of all the exciting things happening for
Philadelphia and our community! We had an energized and exciting public
meeting last week that drew over 100 registered participants! Check out
more and the recording
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=af13daf25e&e=bf56a86ce3>
below in this newsletter. March is exciting month that brings warmer
weather but also is Developmental Disabilities Awareness!

This year’s theme for National Developmental Disabilities Month is “*A
World of Opportunities*”. Learn more about the National Movement for
Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month below.
[image: The artwork and theme of #DDAM2024 for Developmental Disabilities
Awareness Month]
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=7b6b25faa8&e=bf56a86ce3>
#DDAM2024 Resources
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=fa9912b8c4&e=bf56a86ce3>

March will also mark the beginning of my own transition in my role as the
Executive Director of the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities and
the Mayor’s Commission on People with Disabilities. My last day in my role
with the city of Philadelphia will be April 3, 2024. Our office and
dedicated staff will continue to serve the disability community and look
forward to the setting up of the “Office for People with Disabilities”
later in 2024 with the charter change under the Parker Administration!

Transitions are always opportunities, and I am excited to see
Philadelphia’s disability community continue to partner with the city to
ensure an accessible and equitable Philadelphia for all! I remain steadfast
in my belief that when we design and lead from a place of accessibility and
universal design, all members of our community benefit and have more
equitable access to public life!
[image: The office, commissioners and public members at the press
conference on the map]

As a disabled neurodivergent with deafness, I could not be prouder to have
served this community and great city these last 3 years! On my first day, I
was tasked with making this office and commission more viable and visible.
I believe we have done just that *together*. *We have accomplished so much
in these few years together*! We made history in making this work and
office a permanent fixture of the city charter! We put Philadelphia’s
disability community and accessible technology on the map
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=69083d051e&e=bf56a86ce3>
literally and figuratively. We became the first certified sensory inclusive
city
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=95e80aa4d5&e=bf56a86ce3>
in America!
[image: The amazing Disability Map of Philadelphia]

We provided 100s of trainings to departments and community partners and
hosted dozens of events and public meetings, launched this newsletter,
created a systems navigation video
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=30a7b17a4f&e=bf56a86ce3>,
and have grown the office from 2 staffers a year ago to 6 today!

The Commission
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=8ea933db35&e=bf56a86ce3>has
grown too, from 6 to 14 members that lead with their intersectional and
diverse disability identities and experiences to *ensure people with
disabilities are not just represented at decision making tables, but they
become the table*! The first ever ADA transition plan
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=582d7454a9&e=bf56a86ce3>is
not only underway but opening up access in real time everyday across
departments and municipal buildings! The list goes on and many of our
accomplishments are because of *YOU*!

Thank you for joining us, for meeting with us, for bringing your voice
forward in this work, please continue to do so to support the Parker
Administration and this incredible office, commission and team towards a
fully accessible and equitable Philadelphia!
[image: Staff and Community Members at the press conference with mascots
becoming the first sensory inclusive city.]

I hope to make the disability community and the great city of Philadelphia
proud as I set forward into what is next for me as I continue to strive for
a future that is equitable and accessible for all Americans with
disabilities. I will always carry Philly with me, thank you for allowing me
to lead this office, work, and amazing community! We have shown this city
and our world that *disability and capacity co-exist*, and the future is
accessible! Learn more about our work in our Year in Review Report
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=214034ae28&e=bf56a86ce3>.

Thank you for the honor and privilege it has been to serve as your
Executive Director.

With so much gratitude,

Amy Nieves
[image: Amy Nieves Smiling in a polka dot top and black skirt smiling and
looking forward.]
[image: Green box, blue calendar image: Mark your Calendar!]

*Mayor's Commission on People with **Disabilities** Upcoming Events and
Announcements: *

Did you know that all of our events can now be found on our website? Check
out the upcoming events below or on the website
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=39186bf92e&e=bf56a86ce3>
today!
[image: Headshots of the current commissioners]
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=039a988a01&e=bf56a86ce3>

*Did You Miss Our Public Meeting on March 13, 2024? *

The slides and recording of our most recent Public Meeting for the Mayor's
Commission on People with Disabilities from 3/13/24 are available below!
What a wonderful meeting we had that drew over 100 registered participants.
We were honored to have the honorable *Council Member Kendra Brooks *who
led the legislation to make our office a permanent office for the city of
Philadelphia join us and provide updates from her office. Our new Chair,
Nico Meyering led the Commission in sharing the collective vision for the
Commission, our office, the Parker Administration for disability inclusion
and equity and so much more! (Please note that while ASL was provided for
the live meeting, due to technical issues it was not captured in the
recording.)
Recording of Public Meeting
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=e47aad8432&e=bf56a86ce3>
Slides from the Meeting
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=845b89cca4&e=bf56a86ce3>
[image: Focus group participants around a table]

*Sign Up to Participate in our Disability Equity Data Project! *

• This is an opportunity for *Philadelphia residents with disabilities* to
participate in the project as a focus group member in late Spring

•All selected participants will receive a $35 compensation card for
completing a survey and attending one 1.5 hour focus group. Up to 60
participants will be selected.

•Learn more and complete the Interest Form by April 6, 2024, below:
Data Project Interest Form
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=ba24bb0c37&e=bf56a86ce3>
[image: Pedestrians in walkway with sighted cane, baby stroller, walker,
powerwheel chair user, push wheelchair user, a guide dog and more to show
pedestrians.]

*Community Conversation: Pedestrian Safety and Traffic Signaling with the
Streets Department and the Mayor’s Commission on People with Disabilities*

Monday April 22, 2024

11am-12pm via Zoom

Please join members of the Mayor's Commission on People with Disabilities
and leaders from our Streets Department for a Community Conversation on
Pedestrian Safety and Traffic Signaling. There will be a time for residents
to provide feedback and comments related to pedestrian safety during the
event.

ASL and automatic captions will be provided, if you require additional
reasonable ADA accommodations, please email Khalia.Jackson at phila.gov
<khalia.jackson at phila.gov?subject=&body=> by April 15, 2024.

Register and learn more below:
Register for Community Conversation: Pedestrian Safety
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=404eb280b3&e=bf56a86ce3>
[image: ASL signs for In Philly everyone's reading one book in 2024]
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=8976d2ae2a&e=bf56a86ce3>
[image: Tru Biz Novel with varied shapes and colors around the book]
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=b2654f6f12&e=bf56a86ce3>

*2024 One Book, One Philadelphia Selects: True Biz by Sara Novic*

The Free Library of Philadelphia has announced "True Biz" by Sara Novic as
its citywide book club book for 2024!

This annual initiative encourages all Philadelphian’s to read the same book
together and offers events and engagements to discuss together. Join us at
many of the exciting events and as we read this book together as a
community! Learn more below:
Free Library: One Book, One Philadelphia
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=576d5c5b64&e=bf56a86ce3>
Philly Voice Article
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=bed363ea7c&e=bf56a86ce3>

*Community Resource Spotlights: *

Learn more about the below listed community resource(s) and share with your
network as well. Be on the lookout for more resources as the weather warms
up!
[image: A road sign that says supports, help, advice, guidance and
assistance]

Are you or someone you know facing food insecurities in Philadelphia? Explore
options for getting free food and additional support
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=f974ce9c2e&e=bf56a86ce3>
or
for getting help with applying for public benefits
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=8006c73ed5&e=bf56a86ce3>
at the portal below:
Food Resources in Philadelphia
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=051e25116b&e=bf56a86ce3>
[image: Website icon]
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=41b820752c&e=bf56a86ce3>
[image:
Email icon] <ada.request at phila.gov>

*Copyright © *|2024|* *|Mayor's Office for People with Disabilities|*, All
rights reserved.*

*Connect with us today!*
Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities | Homepage | City of
Philadelphia
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/track/click?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=c711c39f94&e=bf56a86ce3>
City Hall, 2nd Fl. Room 260D
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: 215-686-2798

Inquiries can be directed to: ADA.Requests.phila.gov
<https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0qcO6tqDwjG9Ih4V297FcqHdCa55KwcYWZ?subject=Question%20related%20to%20the%20Mayor's%20Office%20for%20People%20with%20Disabilities>

You can update your preferences
<https://phila.us12.list-manage.com/profile?u=48732a6251c09f25e0086d47a&id=61b5eff738&e=bf56a86ce3&c=b9005c3d39>
or unsubscribe from this list