[Massachusetts-NFB] General Sessions, Banquet and more, your guide to day 3 of the 2023 NFBMA State Convention

Cullen Gallagher cullen.gallagher at gmail.com
Sat Mar 4 11:04:00 UTC 2023

Hi Everyone,
Welcome to day three of our 2023 National Federation of the Blind of Massachusetts state convention. Registration will be open today from 8:00 A.M. - 9:00 A.M. Registration will be held near the conference rooms. Today includes the opening of general sessions, lunch, students meeting, at-Large chapter meeting, afternoon general sessions, parents’ division meeting, and the banquet.
Here is today's full schedule of events.
SATURDAY, March 4, 2023
7:30 AM – Scholarship class and Committee Breakfast
(by invitation only) Suffolk room 3.

MORNING GENERAL SESSION:
Mystic Ball Room
Join Zoom Room 1
https://zoom.us/j/93976475347?pwd=Qy9KQWNmTWhjSklnbmNrSytQSnl3dz09
One tap mobile: +16465588656,,93976475347#,,,,*2022#
Dial by your location: +1 1646 558 8656
Meeting ID: 9 3 9 7 6 4 7 5 3 4 7
Passcode: 2022

9:00 AM – Musical Selection

9:05 AM – Opening Ceremonies
Invocation by Juan Figueroa Springfield Chapter,
Pledge of Allegiance Led by Shirley Dorris, Cambridge Chapter,
NFB pledge led by Debbi Malone, At-Large Chapter

9:15 AM – National Report
Donald Porterfield, NFB of Arizona President and National Board Member

10:00 AM – Nominating Committee Report
Basil Maurice, NFBMA Springfield Chapter

10:10 AM – Getting Activated with the Federation
Robert Parsons, President NFB of Michigan.
New activities, goals and projects can be intimidating. The National Federation of the blind’s membership is full of diverse people with a variety of ways that they have learned to live the ways they want. You can too! Learn How to turn your dreams in to reality!!

10:30 AM – Perkins Library Update
Perkins Braille and Talking Book Library. Kim Charlson Director

11:00 AM – NFB Blind Centers
Ever Lee Hairston from Louisiana Center for the Blind, Michelle Gip from BLIND Inc., and Jessica Beecham from Colorado Center for the Blind will discuss the ways that all three centers teach blind people to live independently and how to do it well with structured Learning methods.

11:30 AM – Leadership Roundtable: Serving the Blind in the 21st Century
Representatives from Ma. Commission for The Blind, Mass. Association for The Blind and Visually Impaired, Carroll Center, National Braille Press, and Perkins School for The Blind

11:55 AM – Announcements

12:00 PM – Adjournment for lunch

12:00 PM – Lunch and Break

12:00 PM – Student Luncheon-Mystic Ballroom
12:00 PM – At-Large Chapter Luncheon-Suffolk 3
AFTERNOON GENERAL SESSION
Mystic Ball Room
Join Zoom Room 1
https://zoom.us/j/93976475347?pwd=Qy9KQWNmTWhjSklnbmNrSytQSnl3dz09
One tap mobile: +16465588656,,93976475347#,,,,*2022#
Dial by your location: +1 1646 558 8656
Meeting ID: 9 3 9 7 6 4 7 5 3 4 7
Passcode: 2022
1:30 PM – Musical Selection

1:35 PM – Al Elia, Justin Salisbury and Katherine Webster: How to become more involved with local agencies and legislators. Who are they. How to advocate for yourself and others at the grass roots level.
2:00PM – Challenge Accepted
Liz Lesperance
Liz is a founding member of the At-Large Chapter and has been the chapter’s Secretary since its inception in 2020. She is also both the Secretary and Treasurer of the newly formed parents’ division. She lives in Fitchburg with her husband, her energetic 9-year-old son, and her guide dog Sylvia. She works full-time as a CRM Analyst for Safety Insurance in Boston but still finds time to prioritize health and wellness.

2:30 PM – Legislative Report
Mika Pyyhkala, NFBMA First Vice-president,
Theodora Williams Springfield Chapter President, NFBMA

2:50 PM – Presidential Report:
Shara Winton, President NFB of Massachusetts

3:15 PM – Dive Right in
Courtney Brown, Community Outreach Manager
Partners for Youth with Disabilities
Does this sound familiar: you’re a young person transitioning into adulthood but finding an inclusive community or meaningful guidance feels like an impossible task. Who can you turn to or, if you’re past this stage in life, how do you let youth with disabilities know, “Hey! I’ve been there before, and I want you to know I’m here for you”?
In this session, explore these questions by diving into the benefits of mentorship for both mentors and mentees. Participants will learn about the power of supportive and meaningful mentor relationships and actionable ways to build these connections.
3:45 PM – TBA—A surprise Ending before our afternoon adjournment!

4:15PM – Parents Organizational Meeting
Suffolk Ball Room 3

SATURDAY EVENING BANQUET
Mystic Ball Room
7:00 PM – NFBMA Banquet
Our Master of Ceremonies: John Oliveira, Cambridge Chapter

7:05 PM – 50/50 Raffle
Final sales to benefit NFBMA Scholarship Fund

7:10 PM – Annual auction by John Oliveira

Banquet Address:
National Representative, Donald Porterfield, President of the National Federation of the Blind of Arizona and National Board Member

Scholarship Awards
NFBMA Scholarship Committee:
Jennifer Bose, Cambridge Chapter,
Kyra Sweeney, At-Large Chapter and
Hai Nguyen Ly, NAPBC of MA.

Federationists of the Year
Announced by Shara Winton, President NFB of Massachusetts
Auction will Continue by John Oliveira

See you at the convention,
Cullen Gallagher
Second Vice President and Cambridge Chapter Secretary: National Federation of the Blind of Massachusetts