[Mn-at-large] NFB of Minnesota Update and Action alert

Andrews, David B (DEED) david.b.andrews at state.mn.us
Wed Sep 6 16:56:00 UTC 2017

-----Original Message-----
From: NFBMN-News [mailto:nfbmn-news-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Dunnam via NFBMN-News
Sent: Wednesday, September 06, 2017 10:43 AM
To: nfbmn-news <nfbmn-news at nfbnet.org>
Subject: [Nfbmn-news] NFB of Minnesota Update and Action alert

September 6, 2017

Dear Minnesota Federationists:

→	There is still time to help raise contributions for our 36th annual
walk for Opportunity! In a separate email, we will send out the walking route directions and other pertinent info. Information on how you can help even if you are not able to be with us on Saturday is
here: http://www.nfbmn.org/Move.html

→	Remember the annual convention in Brooklyn Park, October 20-22. In
addition to the phone number to call to make hotel reservations, you can also do it online at this link:
http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=Nat%27l%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%20of%20MN%5Emspnw%60dtndtna%6099.00%60USD%60false%602%6010/18/17%6010/24/17%609/29/17&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes
.
Note that by default the hotel may offer a suite that includes one king sized bed and one sleeper sofa in a separate living room. You can request a suite with two double beds.

→	The House Judiciary Committee plans to vote on the ADA Education and
Reform Act (referred to as a markup) on Thursday, September 7. Please call Chairman Goodlatte and urge him to postpone this vote until the appropriate research can be done and a better solution proposed. For more information, read President Riccobono's letter to Chairman Goodlatte https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/goodlatte_hr620_06142017.pdf.
Chairman Goodlatte can be reached at (202) 225-5431. As written, this bill will significantly undermine our rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

→	Our next most critical legislative issue is the Access Technology
Affordability Act (ATAA) (H.R. 1734/S. 732). Both the President and Congress are putting substantial focus on tax reform, thereby increasing the likelihood that the ATAA has the potential to be included in any such overall tax reform. The best way for us to increase this potential is by building cosponsor support for both the House and Senate bills. Please contact your representative and our two senators to urge them to cosponsor H.R. 1734 in the House and S. 732 in the Senate.

☑	After thirteen years of legislative and regulatory advocacy, as of
Tuesday, September 5, 2017, the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act and the associated regulations are now final. This is a tremendous accomplishment for all of us, and is a demonstration of our collective passion, tenacity, and determination. These regulations will help us live the safe and independent lives we want. For anyone who may not be aware of the history of this effort, here is an article about it:
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm11/bm1106/bm110602.htm

To-Do List (AKA Things You Can Do To Help)

☐	Help raise money for our 36th Annual Walk for Opportunity:
http://members.tcq.net/nfbmn/Move.html

☐	 Call Chairman Goodlatte of the House Judiciary Committee and urge
him to postpone this vote until the appropriate research can be done and a better solution proposed. (202) 225-5431

☐	Check out the Spring/Summer issue of the Minnesota Bulletin, our
quarterly newsletter: http://www.nfbmn.org/bulletins/su17.htm

☐	Also read the August/September issue of the Braille Monitor, our
monthly national magazine:
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm17/bm1708/bm1708tc.htm

☐	Make your hotel reservations for our annual state convention of the
National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota, October 20-22, by calling (877) 303 1681 or online here:
http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=Nat%27l%20Federation%20of%20the%20Blind%20of%20MN%5Emspnw%60dtndtna%6099.00%60USD%60false%602%6010/18/17%6010/24/17%609/29/17&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes

☐	Call your congressional representative and the senators and ask them
to cosponsor the Access Technology Affordability Act (H.R. 1734 and S.
732). If you aren't sure who your representative is, find the name and contact information by entering your zip code at http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/. If you'd prefer, the number to the Capitol Switchboard is 202-224-3121; from there, the operator can transfer you.

☐	If you use a guide dog, give feedback on your experiences using Uber
and Lyft, and encourage anyone you know who uses a guide dog or other service animal to do the same: https://nfb.org/rideshare

Important Dates Coming Up Soon:

• Saturday, September 9th: NFB of Minnesota Walk for Opportunity in Rochester http://www.nfbmn.org/Move.html

• Saturday, September 23: BLAST (Blindness, Learning and Skills
Training) for children ages 5-13 http://www.nfbmn.org

• Friday, September 29: Last day to make hotel reservations for the annual convention

• Thursday, October 5: Meeting of State Rehabilitation Council for the Blind http://mn.gov/deed/job-seekers/blind-visual-impaired/council/

• Friday, October 20-Sunday, October 22: NFB of Minnesota Annual Convention in Brooklyn Park

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back

http://www.nfbmn.org

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nfbmn

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/nationsblind