[musictlk] Choir-directing

Marion & Martin swampfox1833 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 9 13:52:03 UTC 2010

Jessie,
    I am the Music Director of a relatively small (7 members) contemporary
music team at a church in Tampa, Florida. Since I play guitar with the
group, I am not conducting, per se. Everyone knows their parts from
rehearsal, so my primary role is to teach the parts during rehearsal, set
the tempo, and cue in the group. Because I cannot use my hands, as they are
busy playing, I use head and facial cues with the group. This seems to work
out well.
    While I was teaching music, I directed a medium sized show choir of
about 40 students. Since they were kids and we used instrument tracks for
the most part, it would not have been appropriate for me to sing along, so
all I did was conducting and lip sync. If you need some help on conducting
motions, feel free to write to me off-list at

SwampFox1833 at Verizon.net

Fraternally yours,
Marion Gwizdala