[musictlk] Choir-directing

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 9 22:54:43 UTC 2010

Hi Jessie,

If you're directing for practice and for the worship service, you'll
want the members to know what you're doing. If you're not familiar
with the beat patterns, you can just move your right hand up and down
to keep the time, but let them know that's what you'll do. If you're
needed to sing, you could position yourself near the middle of the
choir so that they can see you nod your head for cut-offs. If they
know the song really well, you probably won't need to do much.

I, too, am wondering why the assistant choir director doesn't take
over, as that's what the assistant usually does, hence the name assistant!

Please email me off list if I can be of any further assistance.  I've
had some experience, and am willing to talk via email or telephone,
if that would be helpful.   I have unlimited long-distance for just
such occasions, among others, of course.

Blessings,

Linda