[musictlk] Marching band in high school

David Bouchard davidb521 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 22:34:55 UTC 2010

Hello, bonnie. I played trumpet in my high school band, and just graduated from Starkville high in MS. What does Aubrie play? I plan to pursue a music degree involving trumpet, and will probably march in the band if possible. However, I did not march drill in our high school band, but did parades instead. Here is why:
I missed quite a bit of summer band camp in 10-12 grades due to Youth Slam, and other NFB activities ironically enough. This prevented me from marching because so much of the drill had already been learned while I was absent, and I did not have the motivation to put in the extra time which would be have been required. Marching bands, especially in the South, are extremely integral to the football culture, and Aubrie will be spending many hours a day rehearsing, due to the competetive nature of contest festivals and such. So, she mustn't miss band camp at all, unless she is absolutely determined to march no matter what. On a brighter note, blind band members have marched before in these types of marching bands, and there are several ways to accomplish this. Some have used tethers to connect themselves to another band member, and they follow their lead while playing their instrument. One man used a dowel of some sort, and he would hold the stick in his left hand, and play trumpet with the right hand. I don't recommend that approach. I have heard of others just learning the drill so well, that they memorize exactly where they are supposed to be when they are supposed to be. I definitely think that she should pursue marching, and I wish her the best of lucks. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, even though I'm not really much of an expert in this field.
Regards,
David-----Original Message-----