[musictlk] album selling

Brad Dunsé lists at braddunsemusic.com
Sun Dec 4 06:21:15 UTC 2011

>A couple things here.

1. Though CDBaby by themselves is a "Get Rich
Slow" scheme, they do parterner with a host of
download sites including amazon, iTunes and the
like. It would cost you a little to get a CD up
but if you promoted  those partnering outlets as
well, you might do OK. I think it costs $35 or
$45 for an initial CD set up plus if you have
them do the UPC and digital coding to track
downloads and etc. So many people use iTunes
these days and the only way you can get on them
is through such distributors as far as I'm aware, unless it's changed.

2. You mentioned about doing,  "spoofs of
existing songs." If you are talking songs you
have not written yourself, I will caution you if
those songs. Even if they are parodies/spoofs,
and not recording the original songs,  they tend
to get a bit protective of them. If you have
permission great, if not, you might consider
doing so. I know a writer here who  has made his
way around Nashville fairly well, wanted to do a
parody on a song, asked the publisher and they
said no. Since they have deep attorney pockets he
just left it go. Just something to consider. If
you think those with media copyrights aren't
interested in the small fish independents out
there, here's an example. My buddy, a cartoonist,
had a character he had on Facebook, he flipped
the F logo of Facebook around and such. I told
him, "Dude you can't do that,  if they see that
they'll get after you. It is not different
enough, it's obviously their logo." He continued
to say it was legal because it was different and
they'd never see it anyway with all the people on
there. A couple weeks later Facebook contacted
him and told him to take it down or attorneys wil
contact him. So if you don't have permission, I'd
recommend asking the publisher or copyright holder to cover your rear.

Brad