[musictlk] help with music

Brandon Keith Biggs brandonkeithbiggs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 03:59:42 UTC 2013

Hello,
I really suggest you get an introduction to music for the blind student.
It will really help to explain most of this stuff to you.
It is hard to write out concepts without being there to show you. An
introduction to music for the blind student does a great job of
describing without a teacher, but it has the advantage of having
examples in Braille and music to show you.
Without fail, a major scale is the same on every instrument. They start
at different places, but when you play C or Bb on your instrument, you
will always have 7 notes that are:
whole whole half whole whole whole half
step away from one another.
So, we know a C major scale is:
CDEFGABC,
just put in the intervals inbetween those notes and you will see where
there is a problem:
C whole, D whole, E half, F whole...
With a Bb instrument, like a clarinet, you still have the same intervals
between the steps, but if you had perfect pitch, you would hear a Bb
when you play a written C on the page. Because you can also play a major
scale off of Bb, this system works. Instead of hearing
cdefgab
you hear
BbcdEbfga
I don't have my computer with my Braille writing software on it, but you
can call NLS and get signed up, then request nursery rhymes. You could
also ask a Braille music transcriber if they would be so kind as to send
you some pop songs. There is also a great site:
http://www.primavistamusic.com/content.php?id=8
You can buy sheet music for no more than a sighted person spends.
Other than that, ask your teacher to explain this.
Thanks,

--
Brandon Keith Biggs